Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreaming_att Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Do I have to sign divorce papers
    My husband wants a divorce. Do have to go through with it? He wants me to sign papers.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Divorce is a legal arrange whereby both parties agree to ending a formal relationship such as marriage however, it usually also specifies who gets what property, monies, accounts, who does pay child support, alimony if any. So no, you do not have to sign if you do not want to. Why not have an attorney look at the divorce documents and let him / her give you their opionion.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Why does he want a divorce? He must have been to an attorney already, since he has papers. You need an attorney - do not, do not, sign papers until your attorney has read them. You could be signing away any claims as far as you know. Do not do this until you have legal counsel.
    ixirebelguy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming_att
    My husband wants a divorce. Do have to go through with it? He wants me to sign papers.
    As far as I know you don't have to sign them but it will save you trouble because he can take you to court and all that stuff and it will just be a mess the best thing to do is just sign them or just see what the problem is and why he wants it. I hope you can get everything worked out
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

I didn't sign any papers and his lawyer sent me divorce papers that we were divorced.
    I think I did give verbal consent over the phone to his lawyer.

Why don't you want to go through with a divorce? If he is set on leaving I don't see the benefit of hanging on to him.

I do agree with the others do not sign any papers until you have a lawyer make sure you aren't signing any rights away.
    harlysdream66 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming_att
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to , this is down to you , why is he is such a rush to get you to sign these paper, stall stall stall, if he not happy , so what
    This is all one big game , find out what he wants, then make your own demands, you want the house, the car, make a list ,and protect your rights
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
    A divorce can be granted to one party without the consent of the other. As far as signing anything, you need to get your own attorney to protect your interests and tell you what you should or shouldn't sign.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 10:44 AM
    You wrote: "My husband wants a divorce."
    That is his right; you can agree or contest his request; if you contest, it could get expensive.

"Do have to go through with it?"
    If and when he files his petition for divorce, he is suing you. You have an obligation to yourself to look after your legal interests because no one else is going to do that. If you feel unable to participate for some reason, see your doctor. Have your doctor contact your lawyer.

"He wants me to sign papers." As others have said, do not sign anything you do not understand. For the vast majority of folks, a competent lawyer is needed.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Yes, a divorce can be issued without the participation of one of the parties. In cases that I have known of, one side did not respond to any notice, and did not show up in court, so the judge found in favor of the person requesting the divorce and granted it. The judge was also favorable to all request made by the party who was present since no one was there to object. It was taken as a sign that the missing party had no objections.
    ngsoldier4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 09:44 PM
    My wife wants a divorce and she locked out account to the money leaving me empty handed on money and I have bills to pay what can I do??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mom leave state with child if NO divorce / legal papers have been filed? [ 8 Answers ]

If there have NOT been any legal papers signed or filed can a mom relocate out of state with a child.

Once divorce papers are filed can spouses liquidate material assets? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm living with my son and his wife while my wife and I go through divorce. Once either party files for divorce are the assets frozen for disposition later or can a spouse start liquidating material assets without the other spouses knowledge?

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Served divorce papers [ 3 Answers ]

After acquiring his U.S.Citizenship my husband is divorcing me. What happens if I don't respond to being served divorce papers ? There is no community property to be divided as he insisted on everything being kept separate. I have separate property including my home of 25 yrs. Which is held in...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search