Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Hate my brothers strongly
    (I am a girl) I have two older brothers and we are each two years apart from each other. We are all in our teens and the oldest one is in his first year at college but he's home now. They always gang up on me and make fun of me, but I can't fight them because I am weaker then them. They don't make fun of my appearance or anything, only how dumb I am, which annoys me and when I was younger they made me cry myself to sleep... they are smarter than me but I am in advanced classes so I am not even close to being dumb. How can I stop the torment?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Their behavior is hurtful to you. You are their little sister. If they were really "smart" they would be supportive. They would help you grow up to be "smart" like they are. They sound like a couple of boys. Boys frequently (in my experience) will put a person down when they're not sure what else to do.

Who says that they are smart? IQ tests and even placement in advanced classes indicate the ability to learn. Can they use it? If intelligence can not be shared, with kindness, what use is it? Ego support?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Have you spoken with your parents about their boorish behavior?
    They are acting like idiots, so look at it this way, they are pityful, you are not. So smile yourself to sleep.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Dec 31, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Poor thing! I went through the same thing with my brothers. If it makes you feel any better my oldest brother and I are very close now (in our 30's), but the brother right above me (1 year apart) still don't get along. I will tell you, the torture they are putting you through now... you will appreciate when you get older. Not only will it give you something to laugh at, but will help you deal with men in your life (it did me). It will make you a stronger woman.

I was always told just to ignore them. That was impossible, so I will not tell you to do that... just live with it for now... that's pretty much all you can do. It is (I believe) an older brother's job to torture their younger sister.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 04:07 AM
    Is testosterone that powerful? I think not. It's a shame when boys do nasty things to their sisters. They should be made accountable for it. Parents and teachers who shrug it off saying. "boys will be boys" are part of the problem. Boys want to impact their world. Being cruel is just one of the wimpy ways to do it.

Your Mom/Dad should stop them dead in their tracks. What they are doing is wrong.
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Jan 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
    We don't have advanced classes were I live so I don't entirerly know what they are but you obviously know your not stupid. Just do the old trick and ignore them, it works, they'll get bored. Good Luck =]
    varvo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Happy 711

I find myself taking stock of my life each New Year. I remember over 50 years ago, as a young girl having the same childish squabbles with my two brothers, both younger, but every bit as irritating as yours. That is the way of the adolescent male, to devalue the opponent and, in turn, build themselves up. It's all young male ego and raging hormones. As you all get older, you will find better ways to communicate with one another. I personally find myself missing my brother, Charles who took his own life twelve years ago, and my dear brother, David, a career Navy man who suffers with advanced stage Alzheimer's disease. I wish I could have just one more verbal sparring match with them both. Hang in there, you, too will reflect in 50 or so years. Love to you.

Jan 2, 2008, 03:59 PM
    I have tried ignoring them. For about two weeks, I did not say anything to one of my brothers. Not even pass the water or anything. It was too hard because he still talked to me but I didn't answer because he would just make fun of me. I recently reminded him of that and he said it was the best two weeks of his life besides the years I wasn't born. They are also quick thinkers like he said do you want a cookie so I said yea chocolate chip thinking I won. Then I said to him do you want a cookie and he said no because I am not fat like you. And I don't think I am fat which pissed me off.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:06 PM
    I have a solution. It works every time.

Be nice to them (i.e. "kill 'em with kindness") and laugh along with them, even to the point of making up jokes about yourself. When they realize they can't get under your skin (real fast -- trust me! ), they will stop with the teasing and torture.

Can you do this? Are you strong enough? (And of course don't tell them what you're up to. It's our little secret.)

Jan 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
    coolcourtney8 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I'm a girl and my brother is 3 years older than me. We argue so much and to be honest I'm not the most... (in telligent person in the family) he thinks he's so smart all the time and makes fun off me. I know how hard it must be for you . You should tell your mother or father ( if you haven't already) try to stand up to them if you make them respect you. My brother normally makes fun of my appearance all the time appearance.. he's really mean to me. Just try to stand up to them because if you do they may appearance you... well all I can say for now... is...

Bye bye x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option.what should I do? [ 14 Answers ]

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option. People near me are OK but are always either scared or are in an licking state. I hate the environment. I can't quit because I hate to learn and what I know is not good enough. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee tell me what shoul I do! anyone!

Cat urine smells strongly of ammonia [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter came home from school and brought her cat, male, fixed. We have a cat already and her litter box has never smelled. My daughter's cat's box really really smells of ammonia. It hits you when you walk in the front door and I have tried everything to get rid of it. Any ideas or...

My brothers drinking [ 2 Answers ]

I just started to see a counselor after a break up and I thought my issues were related to my family cutting me out of their lifes after my dad died. The counselor thinks that my brothers drinking and he beat me up twice is the issue. I did after that time go out with someone who after 2.5 years...

Brothers... [ 28 Answers ]

OK, so I have 5 brothers all very different characters. The oldest Martin, is 35yrs - outgoing, but also laid back, a good sense of humoursettle with kids and we get on well. Darren is about 33yrs very quiet and has a shy factor, but has a great sense of humour, happilt married with children...

View more questions Search