Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Credit Card law suit
    I lost a substantial % of my income for approximately 7 months. It will be restored in March 06. Amex, however is demanding payment in full, and wish to proceed to collection and possibly law suit. They say there's no room for leniency. I know I owe them money and have offered to pay a smaller amount for a couple months and pay the balance when my pay is restored. They said they would take the smaller amount and still sue. Any suggestions? RP
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2005, 08:15 PM
    Pay
    This is not true legal advice,

But normally all collection agency will threaten to sue, but if they are getting part of their money and it looks like they will, normally they won't but still can.

But they do also know that if they get a garnishment they can get somewhere between 25 percent to 50 percent of your pay. So you may wish to think about thaat when figuring how tight you can make your budget.

If they just won't settle, I would still try and pay what I could. Then if it goes to court, you can show you made a good faith effort.

Then ASAP pay them off.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 08:36 AM
    That's right. You're dealing with an overzealous collector.

I can, say, though, that from my Credit Experience I do know that Amex's guidelines for whether to keep the account or send it to an agency are a bit more stringent.

It may be that they do forward it on, but collection agencies are generally not granted judgments against individuals who are making payments.

They know this - so rarely even try (when timely payments are being made).
    MICHAL2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 01:44 PM
    I WILL BETTER
    Debt Management

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

Credit card mess [ 5 Answers ]

I am over my head in credit card bills. So many companies are advertising about debt consolidation and debt settlement companies. Could someone help me decide which way to go. I am never late on my payments because sometime I use one card to pay another. I like the settlement plan because they...

View more questions Search