Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fedup1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Slumlord
    In Sept my apartment was foreclosed due to previous landlord not paying taxes on property. The new landlord told me he just bought the house to resale it and doesn't plan on keeping it at all, as a matter of fact, he owns a realty company that usually doesn't invest in these type of properties. I've spoken with him in relation to all the necessary repairs and he nonchalantly responded: "I'm not interested in doing any repairs because I'm not getting anything out of it." I explained to him that he was responsible for the upkeep of this property and whatever needs to be done to maintain it is his responsibility. I'm just fed up with this whole situation and I want to know who I should communicate with to better this situation. Should I EVEN PAY RENT?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Dec 31, 2007, 01:27 PM
    What does your lease say regarding repairs? What type of repairs are you requesting?

Not paying rent will only lead to you being evicted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Well if you don't want to be evicted you have to pay rent, You did not say what type of repairs where needed, you can often file a law suit for required repairs, and have the rent put in escrow pending the law suit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Was this an apartment building or a private residence. If this was not commercial property, then your lease ended with the foreclosure. And he can have you evicted at any time.

If this was a commercial apartment building, then he would need to honor the leases. However, he can delay until he sells. You have two options as I see it. First, you can complain to your local housing authority and have them try and get him to make repairs. Or you can get all the tenants together and stage a rent strike, depositing the rentals in an escrow account. You can then petition a court to use the rentals to make the repairs.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 31, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Start looking for another apt and move ASAP... as has been indicated, the foreclosure negated your lease and the new owner has no responsibility for the former lease terms... you should be more concerned about what happened to your deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Slumlord [ 6 Answers ]

How can I have a landlord deemed a SLUMLORD? The three family home that he rents out has become uninhabitable. There are rats, no hot water, black mold in the home and in the basement, electrical problems and he want make the proper repairs just patch work.

What to do about a slumlord legally? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been living at my apartment for 3 years and from the day I moved in I had a roach problem. He is trying to blame me for a whole building infestation which is not true at all. What can I do about it legally? Do I continue to pay rent for his roaches too? I contacted the Illinois Attorney...

Slumlord [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I moved out on December 29 and have yet to see my deposit. They owe me the full deposit, as when they did the walk through, they told me that I would get all of it back. This letter was written to me through email. I prefer to keep a paper trail, versus having phone conversations. From...

Slumlord? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: we need a new carpet because we have had the same one for 19 years,it smells and no matter how many times you vacuum it, dirt still fills up the bag, our water heater started leaking boiling hot water THIS MORNING, no hot water now, our kitchen sink leaks under the sink, our tiles in the...

Slumlord [ 1 Answers ]

We have been renting a house for 2 years and the landlord won't fix anything our ceiling collaped our roof leaks the pipes for furnace are duct taped to the wall bathtub is coming off the wall and other problems need help NOW!! WE ARE ALWAYS SICK WITH COLDS AND FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS DUE TO MOLD:mad:

View more questions Search