Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truckercarla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money
    I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Depends on your age - are you over 59-1/2? If so, then you pay ordinary income traxes on the withdrawal. If you are under 59-1/2, you will also have to pay Uncle Sam a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I am 36 years old and have $24,000 in a traditional IRA that I rolled over from a 401k account. I need to pay down some debt and am wondering what kind of costs including penalties I will have if I use all the money to pay debts. The purpose of all this is to get away from several monthly...

401K Penalty 10% [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I lost my job of 30 years this year due to disability. I have been awarded Social Security Disability. Approved in Feb 06, first payment was August 06. I had 2 withdrawals from my 401K. The first had a 10% penalty, the 2nd did not because of the disability. My question is: Is the...

Redemption Penalty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding my mortgage and a redemption penalty I will be facing due to an imminent change in property et. My hands are tied it seems and I cannot hold of the move without losing the sale on the house. There is one final payment left on my current...

Penalty [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question on behalf my friend: He came to US in 2004 with F1 and work in OPT in tax year 2005. He should have filed 1040NR. However, he carelessly filed 1040 for resident alien and already got tax refund from IRS. In this case, should he file amendment? What will happen if he should...

Penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I was penalise for being on strike that was called by my union.according to the tayalor law,it is 2days pay for every day on strike.is there any way I can reduse my taxable income by the amount of penalty. I believe it is a cost of doing business(work).I don't know if my logic will fly.Or Where...

View more questions Search