Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Braden23 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Dec 31, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Unconfessed Sin
    Before I ask my question, I want to give a little background. I got involved in a bad relationship with a co-worker (by bad I mean sinful) and have been gone from God for a long time. I want to come back badly, and I know He wants me back. My problem is that I have so much unconfessed sin that I can't remember it all, and I'm afraid that to come back I have to confess everything. I'm trying to keep in mind the story of the prodigal son, but I've screwed up big time. I feel so far away that I don't know what to do. Someone please help.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Doesn't your God know everything you have done... why the need to confess it all esp if you can't even remember it all. I think you are just tormenting yourself further.

Dec 31, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Thank you so much for the advice. It makes me feel better.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:38 AM
    I agree. He knows everything you've done. I feel that it's unnecessary for you to list everything.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I agree with Bushg. God knows your heart and all he wants you to do is make a U turn back to him. Say a repenting prayer from your heart and go back to living for Him.
    God says he casts your sins farther than the East is to the West. Once you ask him to forgive you what is the point in specifics other than to go over them in your heart to contemplate what you can do different to change if you aren't sure.
    Man's tradition says that you must confess to the -Priest, Preacher- your sins but the Bible says confess your sin to one another. I take that to mean to confess to the one you wronged which is often good to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
    God already knows all of your sin, if you are really sorry of all of it, just let him know, you dn't have to name every sin, that is some story someone must have told you. All you ask is to be forgiven of all of your sin, since you will have a lot of sin you don't even know you did.
    Did you speed going down the road yesterday, that is a sin, since you broke the law of the nation over you. If you think evil of that old lady who took your parking space yesterday ( maybe that was me) that is a sin,

If you wish to make a formal confession to someone you can do that also. I know I listen to confesson a lot, but if you want to talk to God direct and ask his forgiveness that is great too.

You are being convicted to return to Christ, so as the adverstisement goes, "just do it"

Dec 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Dec 31, 2007, 04:35 PM
    1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Go to the LORD and be forgiven, then when you do sin again, ask for specific forgiveness. He is faithful and loves you.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I agree with Bushg. God knows your heart and all he wants you to do is make a U turn back to him. Say a repenting prayer from your heart and go back to living for Him.
    God says he casts your sins farther than the East is to the West. Once you ask him to forgive you what is the point in specifics other than to go over them in your heart to contemplate what you can do different to change if you aren't sure.
    Man's tradition says that you must confess to the -Priest, Preacher- your sins but the Bible says confess your sin to one another. I take that to mean to confess to the one you wronged which is often good to do.

Nicely said!

Braden23,

You don't need to confess every last sin you have committed. All you need to do is ask God to forgive you from your sins. He knows your heart, and if you really want to come back He will see that you do and forgive you. Like NOhelp4u said, God casts our sins as far as the east is to the west. (Actually I would recommend this song for you to listen to. Its very good: YouTube - Casting Crowns - East to West )
    Tertullian Posts: 33, Reputation: 3
    -

Jan 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Braden 23:
    Stop laying an unnecessary guilt trip on yourself. The fact that you WANT to come back means that you are ALREADY back. The father of the 'prodigal son' did not demand any abject breast-beating from his sonny boy before preparing the barbecue. Neither does God. I believe it was Hildegarde of Bingen who once said: "When you take one step toward God, he has already taken TWO steps toward you"!! Don't demand of yourself what God does not demand!!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
    My goodness, if we had to remember and request forgiveness for each specific sin we've committed then I'm afraid none of us stands a chance. I believe if you tell God what you've told us, "I've screwed up big time," He'll know exactly what you're talking about, He'll forgive you - and then you need to work on forgiving yourself. :)

Steve
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Jan 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Think of the criminal that was crucified with Jesus, who asked Jesus to remember him. He knew he sinned. He showed remorse for what he did. You've sinned, and you have remorse. God loves you and forgives you. From this point on, do your best to lead a good and wholesome life, and try to forgive those who have done you wrong.
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jan 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Satan will tell you that you can never be clean from your sins and will never be forgiven. He will also use your feelings of guilt to keep you from returning if he can. God is a loving God and forgives us all. None of us are perfect, that is why our Savior came. Repent and be forgiven and then put your sins behind you. I wish you great happiness on your return and your new life.
    closer45 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden23
    Before I ask my question, I want to give a little background. I got involved in a bad relationship with a co-worker (by bad I mean sinful) and have been gone from God for a long time. I want to come back badly, and I know He wants me back. My problem is that I have so much unconfessed sin that I can't remember it all, and I'm afraid that to come back I have to confess everything. I'm trying to keep in mind the story of the prodigal son, but I've screwed up big time. I feel so far away that I don't know what to do. Someone please help.
    God already knows your sin all you need to do is ask for forgiveness and keep faith in your Heart. Remember God already knows your Heart and judges it so. If your Heart is full of shame for your sin he knows you are sorry. If your heart is full of sin and unforgivable he will be also. You sound like a man sorry for his sin if you are truly sorry God already Knows.
    workerbee Posts: 104, Reputation: 7

Jan 22, 2008, 04:21 PM
    As an Atheist I say you have nothing to confess, you will not go to hell, neither will I. if you like this girl continueseeing her, if not break it off

workerbee
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Jan 24, 2008, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by workerbee
    As an Atheist i say you have nothing to confess, you will not go to hell, neither will I. if you like this girl continueseeing her, if not break it off

workerbee
    Wow, I thought even atheists had some types of morals. Whether you believe God gave it to you or not, everyone still has a conscience. You are the classic example of someone who makes their wrong doings okay simply because you don't believe you have God to answer to. Your erroneous thinking is dangerous because with it you can justify your actions no matter how terrible they are.

Jan 25, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Tertullian, that's possibly the best and at the same time funniest advice I've heard. I never thought of God as firing up a barbecue, but I think from now on I will. Thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
    I am sorry that those that have a hatred of God wants to come and try to hurt your faith, since they have issues with their own. But
    At least we have at least one doomed to hell for sure, at this point and need to most certainly pray for them. And you can use this as an example of what levels we can fall to without God in our life.
    And of course there is a God, and I even challenge that the person saying they are a atheist are not, since if they merely believed there was no god, they would have no issue with someone else beleving and not going out of their way to attack god. So most likely they have a lot more issue with religion than they want to say.

But God knows all that you did, and he wants you to come back to him. All you have to do is take that step, You are already sorry for your sins, so just reach out to him, he loves you and wants you to reach back.

Jan 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
    There is no way I can convince you that there's a god if you don't believe. And whether you call it sin or something else, I think it was wrong on my part because I essentially stole someone else's property (that guy's girlfriend). What I did to him was probably worse than what I did with or to her.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Is the guy still holding it against you?
    Like I said God knows your heart and he sees it grieves you.
    God doesn't want you to beat yourself up after he has forgiven you.
    Forgive yourself and put the past behind you. Consider it a lesson learned and
    Grow closer to God. Read the Bible --God forgave David for what he did to Uriah with Bethsheba. God forgave Paul for killing Christians so why do you think God can't forgive you. He knows your greater purpose and desire in life to serve him. Forgiveness is a powerful thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search