Ask
    Internet Junkie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Euromillions statistics
    How do you calculate the probability of winning the Euromillions?:confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 31, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Try this: Euromillions, Euromillónes, Euromilhoes: Software, Strategy, Systems, Odds

Good piece on Wiki too: EuroMillions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Dec 31, 2007, 05:19 AM
    I love the fact that bookies are willing to give better odds of Elvis crash landing in a UFO on top of the Loch Ness Monster than you winning the Euromillions! Ha ha!

Also, quite like the graphic at the bottom of that story!
    statspro Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2008, 04:05 AM
    The euro millions probability has to be calculated in two parts, firstly the probability of getting 5 balls out of 50. Order doesn't matter so:
    P(A) = 50!/5!(50-5)! = 2,118,760
    Then we need to calculate the probability of getting the 2 balls out of 9 so:
    P(B) 9!/2!(9-2)! = 36
    Because the two are independent we need to multiply them together so:
    P(A) * P(B) = P(A&B)
    2,118,760 * 36 = 76,275,360
    Therefore the chances of winning the euromillions is 1 in 76,275,360
    Internet Junkie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Thank you, I learned this in school but had forgotten how to use probabilities formulas.
    Ion Saliu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
    The lotto games are covered by the numerical sets named COMBINATIONS. The sets and combinations are very well covered at my website, including unique software:

Combinatorics, Permutations

The fundamental formulas of probability are presented here:

Probability Theory

The most comprehensive formula to calculate the probability (or odds) of lotto games is known as hypergeometric distribution probability. It covers multiple prizes, not only the jackpot (the first prize in a lotto game).

Here is a text format of the hypergeometric formula for the case 'm of k in s from n':
    Code:
                                    C(n, k)

P(m of k in s from n) = ---------------------------- 

C(s, m) * C(n-s, k-m)
    An example: '4 of 6 in 12 from 49'. You want to know the odds of winning 4 numbers of the 6 drawn by the lottery in a 49-number game. S=12 is a pool of numbers; e.g. you play a system or lotto wheel which comprises 12 numbers. The default for s is 6 for lotto 6 games. It is the general case when you don't play lotto wheels or pools of numbers.

C() represents the formula of combinations:

Code:
                 n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)*...(n-k+1)

C(n, k) = ------------------------------------- 

1*2*3*...k
    For k=6 and n=49 (the most common lotto game), the formula reads:

C(49, 6) = [49 * 48 * 47 * 46 * 45 * 44] / [1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6]

Euromillions (like the Powerball) is a two-in-one lotto game. You calculate first the odds for the first part (game): the 5 regular numbers. Then, you calculate for the second part: The Star numbers. Finally, you multiply the two results and get the final odds for Euromillions.

I wrote the most comprehensive software for calculating odds and probability and also analyze combinations and lexicographical order. The main software titles:

OddsCalc.EXE
    PermuteCombine.EXE
    LexicographicSets.EXE

A different member (Curlyben) already pointed to my web page that deals specifically with the game of Euromillions. The page also runs two (free) ActiveX controls that calculate the odds and also generate Euromillions combinations (1000 at a time).

Best of luck!
    Parpaluck,
    EuroAmerican At-Large
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Feb 9, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion Saliu
    disagrees: Mockery has never solved problems or challenges.
    Who was I mocking?

I'm sorry if my little interjecture of fun somehow offended your awesome website! :p

Some people need to grow a sense of humour!

Anyone else fancy chucking some reds my way, I seem to be on a roll at the minute! :rolleyes:
    Ion Saliu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet Junkie View Post
    How do you calculate the probability of winning the Euromillions?:confused:
    I realize now that this thread has some popularity, based on the consistent referrals I get from here. Appears also to be popular in Google searches. Returning the favor, here is some more useful resources. You can download for free the results of the Euromillion lotto game. You get every draw, from the beginning of the game. The file is also ready for immediate statistical analysis, using the software offered on the same website. You get also statistical reports ranking the Euro Millions numbers by frequency, from the hottest to the coldest, including the percentages of hitting.

Euromillions, Euromillónes, Euromilhões History File: Results, Drawings, Past Winning Numbers;

Euromilionen Lotto Numbers Ranked by Frequency.

Ion Saliu,
    Statistician At-Large

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

18) A marketing research firm wished to study the relationship between wine consumption and whether a person likes to watch professional tennis on television. One hundred randomly selected people are asked whether they drink wine and whether they watch tennis. The following results are obtained: ...

Statistics [ 3 Answers ]

True or False T F 1. P(X > x ) + P(X < x) + P(X = x) = 1. T F 2. If P(X > x) = 0.34 and P(X = x) = 0.10, then P(X £ x) = 0.56. T F 3. In a probability histogram, the area of each rectangle equals the probability that the random variable will...

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

Chicken Delight claims that 90% of its orders are delivered within 10 minutes of the time the order is placed. A sample of 100 orders revealed that 82 were delivered within the promised time. At the 0.10 significance level, can we conclude that less than 90% of the orders are delivered in less...

View more questions Search