Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clcowan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
    Attorney called in regards to collection
    Last August I filled out the paperwork for a chapter 13 and started the process. I have been unable to make the monthly payments to the Trustee and the 13 has been discharged. Two weeks ago I received a call from an attorney who is trying to collect a debt for a cc company. I made arrangements to take the first $1256 out of my 401K (this is all l have available) and will have to come with this same amount for the following two months. As I spoke with the agent in regards to getting $ out of my 401K, she told me that this $ could not be taken if I went into litigation. I am wondering if I should do this or not. First of all, I don't know how I will come up with the next two months $, I do not own a house, I owe past due payments on my truck but I do have automatic deposit into my bank account from my job. What can they do to me in regards to litigation?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    clcowan
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Attorney
    THey the attorney to put everything in writing, do not speak to them on the phone never, in writing only.

Dec 29, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    THey the attorney to put everything in writing, do not speak to them on the phone never, in writing only.
    The attorney said he sent a letter to me, at a very old address. He is now suppose to fax a copy of the letter to me. Is a faxed letter considered a contract. Is speaking to his accounting department a contract?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clcowan
    The attorney said he sent a letter to me, at a very old address. He is now suppose to fax a copy of the letter to me. Is a faxed letter considered a contract. Is speaking to his accounting department a contract?
    faxed letter = yes it is a contract

speaking verbally to accounting department NEVER DO as there is no proof, just their word against yours.

Dec 29, 2005, 03:17 PM
    Since I don't think I can make the other two payments, should I get the $ out of my 401K and pay the first payment and see what happens, or should I let it go to litigation?:confused:
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 03:21 PM
    Did you not say that the clerk told you that no one can take your 401K?

401K can't be garnished. So go to court, let them take everything you have (which my guess is not much if you don't even have a house).

Don't give up your 401K... use that for your retirement. Is is your retirement account right?

Dec 29, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Yes, it is my retirement account.
    Thank you!
    clcowan
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 03:27 PM
    Your welcome.

Don't take any money out of it. Tell that lawyer to go find some other poor sap to suck dry.

Dec 29, 2005, 03:33 PM
    Are you sure you aren't a psychologist?
    You just made my day!
    Thanks so much!:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not using an attorney, need advice. [ 4 Answers ]

I plan on completing the divorce process myself. We have only been married for 9 months and have nothing to separate. We don't have children, a house, and have not made a single large purchase together. Neither of us want to fight over anything, we simply want to get the divorce behind us as...

Any attorney will do. PLEASE READ! [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I got victimized in a scam at http://www.roommates.com/. Like an idiot, I took a $3,000 check from a hot chick and planned to wire her the remainder of the funds after the check cleared. After doing everything I knew to do to make sure the check was legit, I deposited it. As you...

Right to have attorney appointed [ 2 Answers ]

In virginia is it true that you are to receive council appointed by the court within 72hrs?

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

Power of attorney info [ 1 Answers ]

I ned info for a speech to teenagers

View more questions Search