Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilsils Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Pull-down, fold-up attic steps: safely opening and closing them
    The ceiling to my attic is ten-feet high. After years of struggling with a normal ladder, I asked a contractor to install pull-down, fold-up attic steps. This consists of three section, two of them hinged. To lower the sections, I need to pivot both out-and-over my head and at the same time, struggle to open and lower them. Putting the steps back is another problem. I’ve learned, in two attempts, that manually opening and closing the folding steps is dangerous! There must be some way to put in pulleys and ropes to gently lower the two hinged sections of ladder, but I’ve been unable to find such a solution on the web. Perhaps, the askmehelpdesk experts have a solution. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 08:14 PM
    My lower than average ceiling one works quite easily. I put a decorative chain on the bottom of mine. I pull it open, and I can reach the bottom of the lower section and I just pull them out. Perhaps you could attach something to it so you aren't reaching up over your head to pull it down.

As for closing it again, perhaps a wooden dowel rod in place of my chain would work better. Just long enough to reach, with hitting your head.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I have the same kind of situation with stairs that I pull down from the ceiling below the attic except that my stairs are not in three sections. What I have is a pulley system. There are pulleys located in two places on either side of the door that I lower from the attic that has the stairway attached to it. There are also pulleys attached to the ceiling of the attic. In order to weight the pulley system, there are four sections of bundled weights that are the kind that you would find weighting the windows in an older home.

Do you have a wooden doorway on your ceiling to which the stairs are attached?
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Depending on how your situation is, I could show you pictures of my pulley system on this thread if that would be helpful to you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 12:28 AM
    I've never had any problems. Your probably doing it wrong. What I can remember:

Once the folding stairs is pulled down. Grab the last rung of the ladder. Pull up, then out, and back up in the process, then gently lower it to the ground.

To put the stairs back. Grab the lower rung. Pull it out a little to get it off the ground. Then, essentially aim for the hinge of the attic. It will fold on it's own.

I think it's just technique.
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 01:09 AM
    Since there are various types of folding ladders/stairs, it would be helpful if ilsils would return in order to clarify things based upon the answers that have been given.

Dec 31, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Cloug, I shall return. I'm at work today, but tomorrow I'll take some photos of the plywood with ladder in the ceiling and the ladder extending/extended for you to see. I open and close it now, just like 'labman' and 'KeepItSimpleStupid'describe. But, the length and weight, hence torque about the pivots, are the killers. Cloug, I think you have the solution I need. ILS^2
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilsils
    Cloug, I shall return. I’m at work today, but tomorrow I’ll take some photos of the plywood with ladder in the ceiling and the ladder extending/extended for you to see. I open and close it now, just like ‘labman’ and ‘KeepItSimpleStupid’describe. But, the length and weight, hence torque about the pivots, are the killers. Cloug, I think you have the solution I need. ILS^2
    Okay, that's cool. We will wait for you to return, then.

Jan 2, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Cloug et al. I've attached 4 jpegs that show the attic steps, how they unfold and a view through the doorway. The expanded steps are 13' 7" and I guess they weight at least 50 lbs. I'd like to see photos or sketches of the pulley system alluded to earlier. Thanks, ILS^2

Name:  attic steps_1.JPG
Views: 3147
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  attic steps_2.jpg
Views: 2841
Size:  216.7 KB

Name:  attic steps_3.JPG
Views: 3236
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  attic steps_4.JPG
Views: 2554
Size:  226.1 KB
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 09:52 AM
    While I am sure a pulley system can be made to work, I think there is an easier solution. Replace the string with something solid so you can push the door closed as I said in my first post. Add another dowel rod to the bottom of the lower section to make it easier to reach. Then, facing the steps, use the dowel to pull the bottom section back unfolding both it and the middle section. Once they are straight, lower both to the floor. The solid dowel rod fastened to the lower end would again make it easier to push it back up.

Jan 3, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Labman, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try dowel rods with eye/swivel hooks on the rungs and hooks on dowel rods. But I'd still like to see Cloug's pictures of his pulley system. I'd like to try both dowels and pulleys, the latter because of the weight of the steps. ILS^2

Jan 3, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Okay, that's cool. We will wait for you to return, then.
    Cloug, I'd still like to see pictures of your pulley system. ILS^2
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilsils
    Cloug, I'd still like to see pictures of your pulley system. ILS^2
    Okay, sorry that I didn't respond sooner. Am getting ready for a big party at my home tomorrow night. I will take some pictures and post them. But, it might not be until late Friday night or Saturday.

Jan 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Okay, sorry that I didn't respond sooner. Am getting ready for a big party at my home tomorrow night. I will take some pictures and post them. But, it might not be until late Friday night or Saturday.
    Clough, I'm still waiting for some pictures of your pulley system. Thanks, ILS^2
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 04:25 AM
    You know, you are correct! I did promise that I would provide some images. I hope that what you see will be helpful to you. But, please remember that what I have is just a single stairway that is lowered from the ceiling and not in multiple sections such as yours is. Even though, maybe seeing how mine is hooked up might be beneficial to you.

What I have to take pictures with right now, is a very cheapo digital camera that was given to my daughter for Christmas. I haven't figured out all the ways to work it yet and it seems to get filled with images so that I can't take anymore. But hopefully, I will figure it out.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 04:41 AM
    Here are at least a couple of images to get started with. I will try to post more detailed ones soon concerning how it is hooked up and the weighting system for it.
    Attached Images

May 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Clough and labman,
    I finally got around to installing the dowel rods/pulley system you both recommended. (See image below.) To lower the ladder, I screwed two eye bolts 3” from bottom of ladder. Then with eye hooks in dowel rods, I can pull down and extend the ladder. To raise and fold the ladder, I installed two pulleys under the to rung of the ladder. ILS^2
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absorption Costing - Opening stock and closing stock query? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have an absorption costing query on the profit statement, here are the notes: Selling price per unit = £20 Sales for year 1 = 10,000 Production = 20,000 Production Cost Per Unit = £10 YEAR ONE

Opening/closing stock adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me.. I've got a set of accounts for some coursework and as I'm trying to do this over the easter holiday I'm stuck and need someone to ask! I pretty much know what I'm doing except for this, In my trial balance I have stock at 1st jan, then later I have an...

The best way to fold a shirt ! [ 7 Answers ]

Check this video. Very cool, very useful :p ;) http://ahafun.net/index.php?action=showpic&pic=41 Do you know any other way ? Let me know, thanks !

View more questions Search