Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoey_7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 01:05 PM
    My dog just had puppies
    My dog just had had 7 puppies. She is a lab,pit mix. The father is a Stafford pit. The puppies are 4 weeks old and we are going to start getting them eating puppy chow that's been watered down. But she has been losing weight. A lot of weight. Its kind of scary. She's losing weight and she's looking paler than usual and it scares me because its just not healthy. So does any one know how to get my dog to start gaining weight. Please help!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Better talk to a vet. What do the books say about that?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 10:57 PM
    How much are you feeding her? Feeding puppies takes a lot of energy out of the mother. However, being pale makes me think anemia, possibly related to internal bleeding. In which case, you have a very sick dog and vet is about your only option.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
    My Ava just had 9 puppies. She is a pit/lab mix. She lost A LOT of weight when she had the puppies, I was extremely worried because she looked borderline malnourished. I took her to the vet and they said just continue to feed her more than she normally eats. (The book I got on whelping puppies said to feed her 3 times the amount of food she normally eats).
    Our puppies just turned 4 weeks old too. Once you start to wean them and they stop nursing on mom so much, you should see the healthy weight coming back. Our puppies are nursing less from Ava and I am allowing her more time away from them (so they can't nurse) and she is slowly putting weight back on.
    tinalourob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Hi.
    Pups should be started on a watery gruel at about two weeks old.
    I supplement my with vitamins and calcium tabs.
    I feed her eggs twice daily mixed with a canned dog food and dry dog food
    Which she loves.
    You could also cook hamburger w/ rice and add chicken.
    Has she been checked for worms?
    I hope this helps.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Worms

Vet

Tomorrow
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, but please make sure to check to post date... Ava had her puppies well over a year ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

About: Puppies [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the exact stages of puppies up to 6 months? I need to know because I'm not sure if my pup is developing properly Help needed ASAP Thank you

Labrador puppies [ 3 Answers ]

I have just bred my labrador with another lab, both dogs are yellow labs but the puppies have come out black and brown is this possible.

Shots for puppies [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to get a dogs rabies shots.

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search