Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawn42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Failure to maintain contact
    How long does a Father have to go with out contacting his daughter before you can file abandonment on him and terminate his rights? My daughter has not seen or heard from her Father in 5 years. She wants to change her last name to mine instead of his. She is 7 years old. He does not pay court ordered child support and never has. He saw her once when she was 18 months old and has not even contacted her since. We live in Texas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2007, 08:06 AM
    There are many threads that discuss this already.

Bottom line is forget it. Abandonment as a crime or charge is only in cases where the child is endangered, like leaving them locked in a car for 8 hours or leaving a young child home alone. Your child has not been abandoned since you care for her. Abandonment MIGHT be considered as grounds in an action for divorce or modification of custody/visitation. But its not likely to allow for a termination of rights. Courts will generally grant a TPR only to pave the way for adoption of the child or when the parent represents a danger to the child.

In your case, he has basically terminated his rights by ignoring her. You will gain nothing by spending the money to legally terminate.

AS to your daughter using your name, she can't legally change it until she's 18, but she can use any name she wants as long as there is no attempt to defraud. So if she wants to go by your surname, just inform the school or anyone else that she will now be known that way.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Unless there is someone to adopt the child, the courts won't terminate his rights.

As far as the name change, you would have to get consent from the father before you will be allowed to legally change the child's last name.
    cwarricksgal Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Dec 31, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawn42
    How long does a Father have to go with out contacting his daughter before you can file abandonment on him and terminate his rights? My daughter has not seen or heard from her Father in 5 years. She wants to change her last name to mine instead of his. She is 7 years old. He does not pay court ordered child support and never has. He saw her once when she was 18 months old and has not even contacted her since. We live in Texas.
    I would be recommend her keeping his last name . Even though he has no contact with her she is entitled to any of his benefits if (God Forbid ) something should happen to him . Why haven't you sued for child support ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to gain self confidence and how to maintain that ? [ 19 Answers ]

How to gain self confidence and how to maintain that for future ?

How to maintain Good Biceps [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I am worried about my biceps... Even though I lift good weights.. my Biceps and triceps are not growing good enough.. Currently I'm lifting weights up to 12.5 kgs.. Can anyone guide me so that I can maintain good Biceps and triceps.. help me out

Can I gainweight but maintain fitness? [ 1 Answers ]

I like to train my cardio a lot so I run 2 sprint sessions and 3 7 mile runs a week, but desperately need to gain weight for my basketball which I take very serious. If I try to gain weight can I still maintain my fitness ? P.S. I'm 9 stone and need to get to about 10 and a half.

How to regularly maintain and tuned-up my computer ? [ 6 Answers ]

What I have to do to regularly maintain and tune-up my computer for peak performance ? What are the best softwares to use ? And how often I have to use them ?Where to get them ? Thanks !

Doesn't maintain contact but want to go to motel [ 12 Answers ]

Now this is very strange... My boyfriend of 4 months with whom I broke merely because of his hot and cold attitude, comes around again and wants to meet me at the motel and says wants to spend some time together. Now I am wondering someone who is not contacting me that much, doesn't text me often...

View more questions Search