Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GordosMommy Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Very sick puppy very sick
    I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were going to get rid of him. He is so hyper and happy all the time. The last 2 days he has not eaten or drank anything and he is just laying around. He has vomitted. I have tried all his favorite foods and toys. He just won't get up and get going. I need to know if there is anything I can do for him until I find the money the vet wants to see him. Please don't think ill of me if I could pawn something to get him there I would. He is a part of my family and if anything happens to him myself and my children will be devistated, Thank you in advance,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 06:25 AM
    I am not sure we can do much here except give you sympathy. At 8 months, he may have the resources to fight off whatever the problem is.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 09:55 AM
    I don't want to sound harsh, but this is just the beginning of expenses associated with owning a dog. If you can't afford vet care now, how likely is it that you will be able to in the future? I love having pets, but one of the things that pet owners have to accept is that there are certain responsibilities that go along with having them. You may want to think about rehoming this pup for his sake, until you get into a better position for having a pet.
    Hol Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Try going to a animal hospital I just took my cat there because he was attacked by something they had me pay half and bill for the other half without any credit check so if you have aleast half trying going there... they might even let you do less then half at the time I would call around and see what they say if you have any animal hospitals around were you live

Dec 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Thank you all very much. As for the person who said I should give him up. Maybe you are right. It was Christmas and I used all my money there but the first is here in a day and then I will be caught up on everything and able to take him. My boss told me that he will give me an advance if there is a surgery or anything that Gordo may have.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 03:33 PM
    A dog or any other pet is a respolsibility that should not be taken lightly. If you can not afford to properly take care or one then you should not have one. I feel the same as far as children are concerend. You have two options. Put the dog ahead of your needs for him and surrender him to the aspca where he will get the care he deserves, or give up any vice and or extra sstuff you spend money on for your comfort. Since you hold a job and the second is most not likley, be a good soul that I know you can be because you seem to care and do the right thing
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2008, 09:48 PM
    I know, we all say, don't have a pet if you can't afford them.. Reality? We have enough HOMELESS pets, if you took away a dog from anyone who was lower income, or struggling from time to time to pay their own bills, can you imange the increase is homeless unwanted pets? This being said, I have tapped out resources most can't imange to care for my animals. Pay day advances through expensive private companys (example check into cash) High rated credit cards that kill me in interest charges. I know the vets are in this field for the love of animals, and to make money, but MAYBE if some of the vets would allow a monthly fee to be paid by their regular patients, it wouldn't be such a HORRIBLE struggle for so many. I don't normally have such money struggles, but a series of events the last 8 months has left us barely feeding ourselves and our children. It will pass, and things will recover, but please don't judge those who just simply don't have the money they need at that exact moment. All these rich animal lovers? How about a program to help the less fortunate or those simply down on their luck? We can all use some help from time to time.. I wish you a TON of luck with you and your baby, keep faith!

Jan 14, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I want to thank you for the support you have offered me. I felt pretty low after reading the responses on this site. I am also very very HAPPY to report that Gordo has survived Parvovirus. I told the Vet I took him I didn't have a lot of money. He said since I didn't have enough money for the hospital he would help me treat him at home as much as possible. He gave Gordo a 50 50 chance. So he gave him an antinasuea shot and gave me a huge syringe to give him fluids with. We put up Gordos food until the vomiting stopped. We gave him the unflavored Pedialyte with the syringe. He is back to his hyper happy eating self. I want to thank the people here for the support they gave me and to the people who made me feel like a big failure and worthless mommy to Gordo I did my best and he is wonderful now. :D
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I am very happy to hear Gordo is doing so well! Keep on top of the vaccinations.. they are a life saver in many cases! Xoxo
    MooMoo2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Also, when it is time for shots: there are some vet clinics where you can request a tech give the shot. This will save you the office visit and LOTS of expense.
    sesamemom1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 02:23 PM

Glad your dog is feeling better... in some communities they offer help for folks with animals who are low or no income. They realize that pets are good for humans health.. and they help with your vet bills. Call local senior center.. they shoul know who to contact if you need this service!
    Another Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2008, 01:44 AM

A lovely story with a good outcome. May your family be healthy and happy together.
    hidden123 Posts: 153, Reputation: 51

Jul 15, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Really glad to hear Gordo is doing better :)

You can also check out local humane society - the one next to where I live has a clinic that's cheaper that most vets. Good luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick puppy [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy will not eat he drinks and will not run what's wrong.

Sick puppy, what should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting worried, trying not to panic. This is my first dog. She's a jack russell cross chihuaha, 13 weeks old, female. Yesterday morning she kept gagging and vomiting into her mouth then swallowing it. That happened about 5 times, she was heaving a lot each time. Last night she had a...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sick puppy, the Vet can't find anything wrong with her. She was throwing up the other day and wouldn't eat, and still won't eat. She is 11 months old, -zu and Pikingnese. Any one have any ideas of how to get her to eat and what food to try? The Vet suggested rice, but she won't even eat...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 7 pups, 6wks old. I went to check on them and mom as I always do around 9:30 pm and one of them was vomiting and shivering. Brought her in the house to try to keep her warm. She drank some water and vomited it up within 30 minutes. None of the other pups seem to have any...

Sick Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

On Friday night my puppy (10 month old beagle) was suddenly really lathargic, wobbly, practically falling over. We took her to the vet and they admitted her for the night. Pumped her full of fluids and she was released the following day, back to her old self. The vet figured she ate something...

View more questions Search