Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambermogirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 10:53 PM
    Medical issue got me fired.
    Hi, I was wondering if this is against labor laws. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and I did not tell them of a condition, in which no one knows what is, If I don't know what it is, how can I tell them I have it for one thing.
    Well, I had one of my spells, and they told me to bring in all my medical records and to call them in a few days. So I did and they still fired me, due to supposedly falsifying medical conditions. I don't see as to where I was falsifying anything. Can they actually fire me due to this?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 07:28 AM
    I'm not an expert on labour law and I don't know where you live, but I DO know that here in Canada, employers have no right to even ask you about medical conditions. Here you are under no obligation to reveal any medical problems, even things such as HIV status. And yes if you don't know what's wrong with you, you can hardly be falsifying documents by not telling them. In my opinion though they shouldn't have been asking you in the first place.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 29, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Yeah if you have a condition which could cause you to be hurt on their jobsite I could see the concern but other than that unless they had reason to believe that they had no business asking. Maybe they wanted to get rid of you but they had to come up with a better reason than they had so they came up with the medical thing to cover up the fact that they want you gone for their own discriminatory reasons. I got fired for being 3 months pregnant but instead of telling me that they made up a big lie about me being rude to a customer. You don't need those people anyway. Id say you should talk to someone about it but unless they plan on getting rid of the person who started it I would not suggest going back to work there because if you do they will make everything bad for you. Go work somewhere that deserves your expertise.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 10:13 AM
    Fired
    Hi,
    If the company's application for a job has a "listing of medical conditions", yes, you should have written it down.
    You didn't mention the type of job it is.
    Many companies' view leaving out info on an application is that of "trying to conceal it". There are also companies that do ask for medical conditions, when it would have an affect on the job environment, or special arrangements which you might require. That is so they can prepare the special arrangements for you on the job, when you start.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2005, 09:36 PM
    Firing
    Legally they say they are firing you for lying, not listing a known medical condition on your application.

It appears you were aware that you had "spells" and that you had been treated for something ( even if you can't remember what it is) since you have medical records about it.

Many jobs have physical requirements within their job descriptions. So they may or may not have hired you ifyou had listed the illness.
    ( if you had listed it and that was the reason for not hiring, you may have a case in some states also depends on the illness.

But basically not telling them about it, yep, I believe it will and can stick.

This was a easy way to fire an employee from many of the companies I used to work for. Everyone often makes small errors, date of hire from 10 years ago, name of a supervisor and so on.

Sorry about the job.

I do hope your illness is treatable and you will be OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you! Would like to get information on the Pituary Gland. Can anyone help?:o

Can I be fired for having a back injury? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently started a new job about three weeks ago. About 5 months before starting this new job, I bulged two discs in my back. Prior to starting the new job, my back seemed to be feeling much better. All of the sudden it is really hurting me. I can barely walk around the office....

Had stroke-Can I get fired?Any laws about this [ 5 Answers ]

Aunt had stoke.Whats the law on this. Ive heard that they have to give your job back upon your return up to 2 yrs. Is this true?

Medical [ 2 Answers ]

I have dental bill of 973.00 which I am being taken to small claims court for. The court is in NJ and I live in PA. Can they garnish my wages because I do not have the full amount to give them? If so how much are they allowed to garnish my wages for and does it show on my credit report?

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

View more questions Search