Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amhunter43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
    no hot water in shower but fine everywhere else
    hi.

so I know NOTHING about plumbing. The water that comes from my shower is lukewarm at best. All the sinks and the other shower are fine so I figured it's not the hot water heater. I've looked online a bit and discovered it might be "debris" in the valve. However, I don't know exactly how to fix this. I've seen suggestions of: turn off valve (which I can do - I think), disassemble value and check for debris. I'm lost at the disassemble part. How do I do that? Water really won't come gushing out? Should I turn off all the water in the whole house?

is this even the right solution.

I noticed this to be a problem last winter but seemed to go away until recently again - or did I just not notice it because it. I'm a new homeowner with little cash and ambition to learn so can you help me do this myself or do I have to call a plumber?
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Yes! You can do it!

(1)is your vale( shower handlel) one piece or two.

(2)is it a bath and shower or just a shower.

(3)do you have a shower head on a hose or is it just a steel head.

(4) do you have a valve just for the shower.

(5)is it a house or mobile home.

(6)Did you know that you are smart anof to fix most house hold problems.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Cleaning a shower cartridge isn't a bad beginner project. To keep water from gushing out all over, you shut it off somewhere else first. Sometimes there is a panel on the other side of the wall from the shower with valves inside. If not, you have to shut the main water valve off. It is near where the water line comes into the house. Once you close it, it is important to open a hot water faucet to relieve pressure. Whether one or 2 handles most shower controls have a cap on the knob. Pry the cap off the hot or single knob. Unscrew the screw under it. Remove the knob. The last steps can be a real pain. Next, unscrew the nut under the knob and pull the cartridge out. Hold a towel over the hole and briefly turn the water on to flush out crud. Clean up the cartridge. Once everything is clear, put it back together. You should then have hot water.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Some shower mixer cartridges are held but a nut like ring while others have a plate with 3 screws hold the plate on the valve body. Moen uses a spring clip that just prys out to the side. It is a pretty easy job and as stated it's a good first DIY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water to Kitchen sink .everywhere else is fine [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just added several water outlets in the basement to build a shower, toillete and sink. These outlets are now all capped. I have water running throughout the house except for the kitchen, all other outlets are being supplied water. What could it be? Thx in advance, Raphael

One bathtub/shower low pressure - all other fine [ 1 Answers ]

I have normal water pressure throughout the house except in one bathtub/shower. It takes forever for the tub to fill. The sink in that same bathroom is fine. I have no access to the water supply to the tub. I have not showered in that bathroom but was told the shower pressure was poor also....

Lost Hot Water Pressure but Cold Water is fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We had a flood in our laundry room earlier today when the aquarium I was siphoning into the nearby sink started to siphon onto the floor instead (the hose came out of the sink and was draining water onto the floor). I didn't realize this, and suspected a leaky pipe when I saw the water...

Tub Pressure fine - Shower very weak [ 3 Answers ]

I've been searching this helpful site and think I have a vague answer, but as it is plumbing, and I am NOT a plumber, I will try to get more specifics. I'll be as brief as possible. Slow but sure, shower has become a trickle. Removed shower head and ran water, still a trickle. From what I...

No pressure in tub/shower, fine everywhere else [ 1 Answers ]

I've read a few posts regarding sinks with no pressure, but have not found anything regarding tubs. From what I have read, there has been mention of cleaning the aerator? How do you do this? And could this be my problem? Are there other issues that I should check for? Any help would be greatly...

View more questions Search