Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phreshout Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Popping ductwork
    I recently moved into 2 yr old house with Weather King (made by Ruud or Rheem?) 92% forced air furnace. The basement is unfinished & I have noticed supply ductwork popping, apparently due to expansion/contraction, on heatup & cooldown. This wakes me in the middle of the night. I would like to remedy this annoyance before finishing the basement. Posted answers mention S-lock, cross breaking, & possible insufficient return air. What does this mean, & what other methods can I use to solve this?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
    ((Posted answers mention S-lock, cross breaking, & possible insufficient return air. What does this mean, & what other methods can I use to solve this?))

It means that one of those item above is causing the problem.

S hook combines two pieces of duct together.
    Cross break means that you remove the offending duct and cross break the metal with a metal break made for that job. A cross break looks like this X length wise on the metal from end to end. It causes the metal to have a seam and that stiffens the duct.

Return air. When you have to small of a return air duct the furnace actually sucks or causes the duct to partially collapse. When the blower turns off and on it allows the duct to move causing the pop.

Now you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding an air leak in ductwork [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Jenn-Air range top/grill that vents down through the basement to the outside wall. Part of the ducting is exposed but some is very hard to get at. Lately when I've been grilling steaks, my smoke alarm in the basement goes off and I can see the smoke in the air but I'm unsure of where the...

They Want to Replace My Ductwork? [ 2 Answers ]

I really wish I would've this site before all this started, but here goes: My wife and I have a seven year old home, 1850 square feet, plus about another 850 square feet of above-ground walkout basement (with crawl space below basement). The original Trane XB1000 2.5 ton outdoor unit which was...

Dryer ductwork [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently installing a stacked washer/dryer in my 2nd story bathroom. The only option for me to vent the dryer is up into the ceiling and down through the soffet. Is there a problem with the dryer vent being vertical until it reaches the ceiling? Since it is a stacked dryer, the vertical...

Flexible Ductwork [ 3 Answers ]

I have flexible ducting for my heat and air and my house is about 11 years old. All of the tees and branches from the main duct lines are connected by duct tape, which is now starting to give and come apart. There seems to be metal or aluminum tubes inside the duct at the connections, but the...

Ductwork squeak [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have never asked a question on this forum before, so I apologize if I do not follow convention. About 3 days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from what appears to be my heating ductwork only when the furnace is on. The squeak seems to be about 1 second long and occurs approximately every...

View more questions Search