Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joebubba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
    My dad recently died and I want to find out my rights as to his life insurance policy
    My father recently passed and I want to find out if I have any benefits how do I find this out
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Did he have an insurance policiy or policies? How do you know this? Was he married when he passed?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
    I'm sorry for your loss. Who was the beneficiary on the policy? That person is the one who receives the money and has the discretion regarding its disposal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
    First there is no data base of insurance policies, so if you don't know if he has a policy you will have to just go though all of boxes, papers and bank accounts and see if you can find payments to an insurance company.

If you have a policy you can look at the policy and also contact the company and find out who the beneficiary is.

If there is no beneficiary then the money goes into the estate and will be divided according to the will or by state law.
    If there is a beneficiary, the money will go to them, and is not included in the estate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Search for life insurance policy [ 9 Answers ]

How can I find if a life insurance policy exists on a recently deceased parent?

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Will the insurance company deduct any taxes on a life insurance policy? Is the year end taxable?

How to cash in a life insurance policy [ 6 Answers ]

I have a life insurance policy that is over 25 years old. I have the name of the insurance co. but I have no idea what the policy number is. Is there any way that I can locate the proper insurance co. without the policy number. Every time I type in the name of the insurance co. I get a list of all...

Fiancee's ex-girlfriend is his alternate trustee on life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

Need advice! My fiancee's ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to be partner in a family law firm, is currently the alternate trustee on his life insurance policy. His mother is the trustee. I understand that their platonic friendship turned into an intimate one and they eventually became lovers....

View more questions Search