Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iggy51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Hot Water Pipes Might be Leaking Somewhere
    Normally you have to let the hot water run awhile in my bathroom to get the water hot. Now it is hot instantly which leads me to believe there is a leak somewhere; however, I looked at all the usual places... no leaks. I have a four year old water heater which seems to be operating properly. I have felt the floors where the pipes run and they are not hot. What do you think it could mean?
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Is the water pressure the same? If there is a leak your pressure would go down. Has the thermis stat controls on the heater ben turnd up. Is the valve for cold water under the sink ben turn. Normally the water from the water heater cools whin sitting under the sink and you have to run the water to flush out the cool water. If the water is hot I wuld check the waterheater. But you are right in the fact that if the water for the hot side is constantly running it would cause the water to be hot quiker do to less could water in the line.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Is your plumbing under a slab? If so, a small leak could keep the water hot without losing much pressure. I would start by shutting the hot water tank off. Unfortunately most tanks lack a shut off on the outlet. You shouldn't shut the inlet off unless you have an expansion tank. If neither an expansion tank or outlet valve, shut the inlet off and open the bathroom hot. Let it set a couple of hours and then turn it off and the inlet on. Then see how long it takes to get warm water. If the delay is back, you do have a leak somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Leaking shower pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very unusual problem. On the left and right side of my shower cubical on the outisde walls where they are bricked in the bricks just in the mid centre of the wall (only) are getting a damp and bobbling patch. I have no idea what could cause these isolated 'damp' patches on the brickwork....

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

Removed pipes to recover earring, now another pipe is leaking! [ 1 Answers ]

After losing an earring down our bathroom sink, I took off the "U" shaped pipe and was able to recover my earring. I also found a few other small metal objects in there. The sink had been running very slowly in the past month anyway despite multiple Draino treatments. I thought things would be...

Leaking pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My best guess is that poor original work opened up a leak in response to heat or mechanical stress working on the other line. You need to drain the system, pull the leaking joint apart, clean it up good, and resolder it. I have actually had a pipe pull clear out of a fitting when I tried to make...

View more questions Search