Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penny42164 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Repair wet drywall in ceiling
    Hi,

We have a leak in our bathroom and it was messed up the drywall ceiling downstairs. What do I need to do?

Thanks
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Hi there Penny,

If it's not begun to sag, you can try heating it(with some halogens or a heat gun), although be very careful and don't leave it unattended!

Drywall doesn't handle moisture well, so chances are good that you might end up with a pile of gypsum on your floor directly below the leak ;)

If that's the case, then you can patch just the damaged area. Cut to the midline of each joist for your patch if the damaged area is large. If it's a very small area, you can usually get away with a small square. Either way you handle it, be sure to fasten it well by cutting dead wood(1X4 works well) and make a lip all the way around the opening by fastening the 1X4 around the perimeter of the opening with about 1 1/2" extending from the edge of the opening. Then cut your replacement piece to fit, fasten, tape & mud.

What texture you have (if any) will dictate what you do next.

I strongly urge you not to use a quick patch on your ceiling, as walking above causes enough flex and movement to pop them lose after all of your hard work.

thanks,
    json
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim
    Hi there Penny,

If it's not begun to sag, you can try heating it(with some halogens or a heat gun), although be very careful and don't leave it unattended!

Drywall doesn't handle moisture well, so chances are good that you might end up with a pile of gypsum on your floor directly below the leak ;)

If that's the case, then you can patch just the damaged area. Cut to the midline of each joist for your patch if the damaged area is large. If it's a very small area, you can usually get away with a small square. Either way you handle it, be sure to fasten it well by cutting dead wood(1X4 works well) and make a lip all the way around the opening by fastening the 1X4 around the perimeter of the opening with about 1 1/2" extending from the edge of the opening. Then cut your replacement piece to fit, fasten, tape & mud.

What texture you have (if any) will dictate what you do next.

I strongly urge you not to use a quick patch on your ceiling, as walking above causes enough flex and movement to pop them lose after all of your hard work.

thanks,
    json
    Good advice above! I just want to add, that I would also recommend fastening any drywall to a ceiling using drywall screws and not nails.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 30, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Good advice above! I just want to add, that I would also recommend fastening any drywall to a ceiling using drywall screws and not nails.
    Without a doubt and sorry for not mentioning it. I don't even uses nails on new installs. Definitely don't try to use nails on a repair into deadwood!

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Well you got great advice for two folks who know how to repair drywall. Here is a slightly different view. If your drywall has been wet/damp for more than 36 hours you have mold starting to grow. Do not try to salvage this drywall and just jump ahead to proper replacement techniques. If this is like most bathrooms a total tear out isn't too much more difficult than trying to splice a patch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bowing drywall in ceiling [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3/4 inch bow in some of my ceiling drywall. I can barely reach the rafter with drywall nails and I didn't use screws because the wood is so hard. I was wondering if I could jack up the ceiling with a deadman and then nail it, plaster it and let it dry before moving on to another section....

Drywall Hole Repair [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: Help- I have repaired holes in drywall before. This one puzzles me. I wanted some advice before I attempted to fix it. We were trying to put up a decorative shelf. We have it perfectly measured and need to place the shelf at a certain place in the room. The shelf kit came with a...

Humidity causing damage to drywall ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NC and have been having a problem with the discoloration and some slight hairline cracking on the ceiling of our garage. During the summer it is extremely humid in the garage and I have noticed there are a couple of long thin strips on the celing that are slightly discolored...

Ceiling Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Does ones use just regular joint compound for repairing part of a roof? I have a spot about 18x30 that I had to replace in my bathroom roof. I accidentally stepped through it when in the attic a while back. I replaced the drywall and now need to get the roof textures to match. I am going to be...

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

View more questions Search