Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rngirl2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Glass Block Window in shower
    During a remodel of our bathroom, the workers broke the cement from around our glass block window in out shower. They told me to just fill it with thinset mortar when I tile but I am not sure about that. Is that correct information or should a use another product to fill in the holes. The current border around the window looks like cement.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Thinset does look a bit like cement, maybe you were thinking of the gluey stuff acrylic modified thinset used for floor tiles on a sub floor.
    rngirl2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rngirl2002
    During a remodel of our bathroom, the workers broke the cement from around our glass block window in out shower. They told me to just fill it with thinset mortar when I tile but I am not sure about that. Is that correct information or should a use another product to fill in the holes. The current border around the window looks like cement.
    What should I use to fill in the holes?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Dec 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
    You should use Type S Portland for this application. It's a very high-strength mix. This was recommended when I installed a glass block window in my shower. Thinset won't have the strength to hold up over time.

Dec 29, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Portland cement, the fundamental ingredient in concrete, is a calcium silicate cement made with a combination of calcium, silicon, aluminum, and iron. Thinset is cement with sand. Who said thinset will not hold up?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Dec 30, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I was told this at the distributor that sold me my glass block window (long-time friends). To be clear, they said that the Type S was a better, stronger product to use for this application.

Dec 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
    I just questioned your statement that "Thinset won't have the strength to hold up over time." Thinset is perfectly fine for patching the holes in this application. Once cured both cements are water proof and will work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glass block shower [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Pittsburgh Corning glass block shower. I followed all their directions and used the products included in the kit. After several months I noticed the grout sealer was peeling/flaking off. Pittsburgh says my problem is not their problem. Why is the sealer peeling?

Repairing broken glass block window [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair / replace a broken glass block in a glass block window? It is right in the middle of the window. The window appears to have a rubber gasket between each block. Thanks.

Dryer vent through glass block window [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and hope to find help. I have a client who wants me to run a dryer vent through a glass block window. Can I cut a 4-1/16" hole in it without shattering or cracking? Or how can I remove 1 block of glass? Thanks

Glass block shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I had a free standing glass block shower wall installed using a block pattern that does not come with end cap blocks. Currently it has the very un-attractive PVC frame. What are my options for hiding this to enhance the beauty of the glass blocks? There does not seem to be any options with the...

Glass Block Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to install a glass block shower in my bathroom. I am going to (hopefully) attach the Door directly to the glass block. My understanding is that I put anchors in the morter joints to hold the door. My question is about finishing. How would I finish the block around the door? It...

View more questions Search