Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    what is ubuntu?
    A Linux based operating system. Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Thanks j9. But I am still confused. I do not know what a linux based operating system is either. I know I went with the vista home premium and simply hate it right now, but have been told that as I learn it it will be the best system I have ever used. Still waiting for that break through also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2007, 07:57 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Linux is an open source operating system based on the UNIX OS which is used primarlily for businesses servers. Open Source means that is it freely distributed and the code is open so anyone can write their own enhancements.

Ubuntu is an installer and shell for use with Linux.

I like Vista. I believe there is another thread here that discusses opinions about Vista or you can start a new one and explain what you don't like about it.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 10, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Scotts answer is a good one.So is j9's.If you want a history listen of Linux,take a look here.It is however more than a lite read: :D

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win and linux ubuntu boot screen! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all. I just installed ubuntu 7.10 on my PC! When I was using windows xp pro I had 3 partitions on my system. I installed ubuntu on one of them and now I can see only one! I have no boot selection screen to choose either windows or linux! :( How can I boot to windows again? I'm worried cause I...

Hardware Drivers for Ubuntu linux? [ 1 Answers ]

I use win xp at the moment and I'm downloading Ubuntu 7.10.iso the os looks really cool and I want to install it on a different partition from xp! I wonder if I'll face any hardware driver problem? Does Ubuntu recognise all devices on my PC? Thanking you in advance :D

Anyone have any experience installing Ubuntu on a Windows machine? [ 8 Answers ]

Before I take the plunge I have a few questions. I've done some prep work already: files backed up, burned iso to CD, defragged my C:. - if I install to C: will the boot manager automatically install and offer my dual boot options? - I imagine a new partition will be created, I guess that'll...

P2p sharing softwares for Ubuntu? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good p2p sharing softwares for Ubuntu LInux? I was thinking about amule but I'm not sure if that's good..

View more questions Search