Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Medical bill tax deductions
    I have had a rough year for medical bills, have spent almost $10000.00 out of my pocket and still have about $1000 left to pay.
    Would I be better off on my taxes to take money out of savings to pay off the rest of these bills this year or just make payments on into next year and claim it on next years taxes?

Just curious...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Steve
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I would contact whomever prepares your tax returns, but it's my understanding that you need a percentage of your annual income to have the deduction qualify.
    The larger amount may be sufficient to clear that threshold but consider tax savings as compared to lost interest. The difference may not be worth it.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
    I am not a tax expect but I believe the IRS rules allow you deduct only those amounts that exceed 2 % of your adjusted gross income. As to your state's regulations, if any, you would have to check with them or read their rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical bill [ 4 Answers ]

Hi When a medical provider tells you its OK to send 50.00 dollars a month on a balance that is 500.00 dollars do I need to get this in writing ? 50 a month is just about all I can afford to send The lady in billing set up the payments and I was just wondering should I get this in writing I...

Medical Bill Dispute [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the emergency room in great pain and told every person I met what I needed. I had had a tummy tuck in Costa Rico and my tummy was so full of fluid I could barely walk. My tummy needed to be drained. When I finally saw the doctor, she said," We don't do that." She gave me a referral to an...

Medical bill [ 13 Answers ]

How do I take care of a medical bill after its been garnished through the courts and do not have the money to pay it

View more questions Search