Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huntertravishouston Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
    How to file a motion to dismiss for time barred debt in small claims Texas
    Cause of action date of March 15 1999 when last payment was to be made per plantiff's exhibit in complaint. Statutes of limitation is 4 years.

I did submit answer with general denial and affirmative defense of statute already but still set for negotiation. Want to submit motion to dismiss since it is so clear cut a time barred action.

Please advise and thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Sorry, huntertravishouston, even after your explanation, still don't know what you want to do. You think you are still within statute of limitations for Texas and can't understand why you are being taken to court for (what amount, you don't say).

I don't think you can get out of this, huntertravishouston, because you owe money and they are winning a judgment against you.

If I am not right, explain further.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Sorry, huntertravishouston, even after your explanation, still don't know what you want to do. You think you are still within statute of limitations for Texas and can't understand why you are being taken to court for (what amount, you don't say).

I don't think you can get out of this, huntertravishouston, because you owe money and they are winning a judgment against you.

If I am not right, explain further.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 04:55 PM
    No, I believe he is saying that it is well past the statute of limitations but they are still applying for the judgment. Now he needs to know what steps to take to make a motion to dismiss the case based on that fact.

Those details I do not know... but hopefully someone here will. I just wanted to clarify.

And just to throw this in there... if, in fact, you are in Texas and they DO happen to get the judgment against you... good luck to them trying to get anything for it. Texas has great debtor protection laws. Even with a judgment, they cannot garnish your wages, put a lien on your home, or levy a bank account. All they can hope for is that you move out of Texas before the judgment expires (unless they plan to renew it in 10 years).
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Name of court here

Case #

Plaintiff

v.

Defendant

MOTION TO DISMISS
    STATUTE OF LIMITATION

Now, come the defendant in the above titled case, who is of legal age and consent, hereby, moves to court this dismiss the above titled action with prejudice due to timed barred limitation.

Plaintiff suit is beyond the Statutue of Limitation of 4 years in this state.

Than type of and order.

Name of court here

Case #

Plaintiff

v.

Defendant

ORDER

In consideration of the Defendant motion to dismiss, it is hereby ORDERED,

That on this day_____month_____year the stated action before this court is

DISMISSED with prejudice.

Mail a copy to the Plaintiff and send one to the court, get it timed stamped. The court will not waste their time since it is beyond the SOL>
    huntertravishouston Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Dr. Jizzle and Mr. Yet were correct. This action is WAY past the 4 year statute of limitations. It is almost 8 years.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. A special thanks to Mr. Yet for the verbage of the Motion to Dismiss.

Just one more question. Is there any valid reason where a judge does not have to allow dismissal due to a time barred action?

Thanks Lois
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 04:46 AM
    There is no reason a judge would even listen to a action that is beyond the SOL, it is a waste of the courts time.

File a Motion for Judgment against the plaintiff for you time and expense also.
    msweeden76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
    I amin the state of Kansas I had a landlord take me to small claims coutin 4-00. Then today(9-21-2010) I receive papers from him trying to garnish my pay after ten years. Is he able to do this or what do I need to do to get out of this 10 year small claims case
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msweeden76 View Post
    i amin the state of kansas i had a landlord take me to small claims coutin 4-00. then today(9-21-2010) i receive papers from him trying to garnish my pay after ten years. is he able to do this or what do i need to do to get out of this 10 year small claims case
    Please do not post your question in someone else's thread.

I just answered the question in the separate thread you created for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they take my ssi/ssdi away from me to play small claims debt in Massachusetts [ 3 Answers ]

I have lost a small claims case in mass court system. Does anyone know the exact law that says I don't have to pay it back because I am to poor. I heard that there is a law for this but I can't find it in the statues. Please help me.

Won small claims, debtor not paying, possibly file lien on vehicle [ 2 Answers ]

I was awarded $739.92 in a small claims suit on 06/06/07(landlord-tenant issue). As of 09/24/07, I have only received 2 cashiers' checks in the amount of $25 each. I was informed by an attorney here in Wisconsin that the court charges 12% interest on the unpaid balance, so even with the $50 she...

Making a motion to dismiss [ 9 Answers ]

I have to write a motion to dismiss for a civil summons I went to today. My nephew was being sued by a credit card company. 1) the plaintiff didn't show up 2) no verification of any debt was produced 3) according to ORC in Ohio, the SOL had run out. So the judge said he could file a motion to...

Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst ...

Ontario small claims has my time run out [ 1 Answers ]

My husband co signed a loan in May 2000, for a car. The principal borrower stopped paying and despite us trying to work with the bank to have them collect from the borrower they initiated a noticed of garnishment Feb 2004, which we have been paid in full. We had the principal borrower and his wife...

View more questions Search