Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gipsgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
    A Hot Probate Family Mess
    My father became POA over our grandfather. He sold our grandfather's house in the state of Michigan and placed the money in his personal account because my grandfather was going to be placed in a nursing home and could only retain a limited amount of $$ in a bank account. My father (only child) died BEFORE his dad. SOMEHOW, my stepmother who has no children by my father gained possession of this account and has claimed this money as HER OWN. A statement was made by her saying "she placed herself on his account". My grandfather died. My understanding is that having POA to handle someone's affairs does not entitle you the right to retain or gift the person's money to yourself and anyone else. Should this not be handled in Probate Court? Any advice on what we should do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
    First please understand what your father did was illegal, he was trying to hide the assests of your grandfather from the nursing home , so they would get medicaid and medicare and not have to pay additional money.
    So first and foremost they are intitiled to being paid first from this money and if notified of the illegal hiding of the money will sue for their money.

Now aside from that, a POA allows them to sign for another person, it does not give them any authority over.
    So legally they can sign and withdraw a persons money. After that, the estate of the grandfather and sue the step mother claiming the father committed fraud and stole the money from the grandfather.

It will be up to the probate judge to decide what happens.

But once it was in the fathers account, if he dies, without a will, the step mother would legally get the money, The fact that the father was trying to hide the money and commit a criminal act is the only reason that the probate may order the return of the money.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
    A power of attorney can be given to another for varioius reasons/purposes/uses, i.e. I can give my 28 yr old daughter a limited Power of Atty to cash my paychecks and only that or I can give her power to handle my insurance issues or I can give her more authority and name several acts she can perform on my behalf. Then there are the issues of dying either with a will or wihout a will (intestate). Then there is the issue of attempting to have Medicare/Medicaid pay for nursing home expenses rather than exhausing one's assets to pay for those assets... hiding assets to avoid using personal assets rather than having Medicare/Medicad pay is either illegal or on the verge of being illegal, however, it's now a moot or irrelevant now issue since you father has now passed away. The issue of who is entitled to the money from the proceeds of the sale of the home is much too complicated for the lay person not trained in the law to digest and then take whatever action/actions are appropriate. I am not an attorney, however, I would consult one if you feel you are entitled to a portion of the proceeds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate [ 6 Answers ]

I don`t know if this is the right category or not. My mother died and this is what is going on. I receieved a letter and this is what it said. The representative would be my brother... The undersigned, ------------, who is the surviving---------of -----------, deceased, hereby waives the right...

Single family to 2 family electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Probate of Will [ 5 Answers ]

My grandmother passed away in 2004 and she died testate leaving my aunt as the executor of the will. Now I received a notification that I was named in the will back in early August. I soon after contacted the lawyer hired to probate the will he said I would be getting 2k probably at the end of...

View more questions Search