Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    s_cianci, I am not quite understanding about the splitting commission part...you mean a second realtor? who is responsible for paying him/her? Do I ask for one or the seller?

Thank you.
    The seller will (in most cases) be represented by a realtor. The seller's realtor will draft the contract of sale and represent the seller at closing. The seller pays that realtor a commission at the conclusion of the sale (typically 6% of the selling price.) Now you, as the buyer, can likewise use the services of a realtor to represent you, assist you in negotiating the terms of the sale and contract and be your representative at closing. And it won't cost you anything out-of-pocket. Since, by virtue of assisting you your realtor assists with the sale of the property, your realtor receives half of the selling realtor's commission (3%). When you see a listed property that interests you, simply contact your realtor and ask him/her to schedule a showing with the seller and/or the seller's realtor. You can do this as often as you want until you finally find a property that you want to buy. Then your realtor will assist you with all aspects of the purchase, in return for 1/2 of the seller's commission.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Oh I see, thank you, so my realtor will be working for the seller as well.
    I mean yes, he/she will be kind of helping me but I can imagine he/she persuades me on buying it for his/her benefit, will he/she?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Your realtor gets commission no matter what house you buy (for sale by owner homes get a little funny), so there's no reason to pressure you into one house or another. Some sellers offer buyer realtor benefits, like extra commission, but if there's no benefit for YOU to buy the house, why do you care if your realtor gets more commission? So make sure you buy the house YOU want, not the one your REALTOR wants you to buy. Also, a good, responsible realtor will put their efforts into finding the house you want and taking what they get from it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 01:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Oh I see, thank you, so my realtor will be working for the seller as well.
    I mean yes, he/she will be kinda helping me but I can imagine he/she persuades me on buying it for his/her benefit, will he/she?
    Not really. Realtors don't typically use high-pressure tactics the way a car salesperson might. Your realtor knows that once you decide on something to buy, (s)he is going to get 3% either way. For that, (s)he will help you navigate the legal complexities and get you the best possible deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a house [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Im in the process of trying to buy my first home. Im just wondering if this is the right time or do you guys think the prices will continue to fall in the coming months? This is for a house in the San Francisco Bay Area..

Buying a house [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a house that is not more than 60 to 75k can get such price I really need it any where is must say am 52 years old.

Buying a house [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to buy a house & land with bad credit & no money down? My husband & I haved lived in Iowa for four years. Now our landlords say we have to move so they can build a house here for there daughters. My husband works hard but we have a lot of bills two kids & a lot of animals so I do...

Buying a house [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking at buying a home and it's an older home that has been mostly updated. Except for of course, the plumbing. The basement still has the old cast iron pipes for the sewer... Would this be very expensive to replace. The house has about 1500 square feet of living space. I know...

Buying a House [ 3 Answers ]

So my husband and I put an offer on a house. Since that time we have had the inspection and appraisal. Today we found out that not only was the previous owner letting his son stay there, but that there is actual damage caused by this person. What course of action do I have in this matter? Should or...

View more questions Search