Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mblok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Basement rough in
    Hi experts!
    I'm planning to add a bathroom in my basement but I'm confused about the existing rough in. I've attached two pictures that show the rough in from two different angles.

There is one 3" PVC pipe that is about 17" from the wall so it can be used for the toilet. I'm confused about the other 2" pipe. It is positioned 36" from the wall. I was thinking of using that for a shower but since it's 36" from the wall the shower sort of ends up in the middle of the bathroom. It also seems to be pretty close to the 3" pipe. From what I've seen in other basements this is not a typical rough in. Does anyone have any idea why the builder put in a rough in like this? Maybe there is another bathroom layout that works great but I just can't think of anything...

Then one more question. One of the black pvc pipes shown on the picture slopes in the wrong direction. I've tried everything in the house but there is never draining any water through it. Any idea what the purpose of this pipe is?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Maurits
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 01:55 PM
    Hi Maurits,

"There is one 3" PVC pipe that is about 17" from the wall so it can be used for the toilet."
    The rough for a toilet is 12" off the wall. your plumber left you enogh room to put down a 2X4 plate and studs to fur out the wall with drywall.

"I'm confused about the other 2" pipe. It is positioned 36" from the wall. I was thinking of using that for a shower but since it's 36" from the wall the shower sort of ends up in the middle of the bathroom. It also seems to be pretty close to the 3" pipe. From what I've seen in other basements this is not a typical rough in. Does anyone have any idea why the builder put in a rough in like this? Maybe there is another bathroom layout that works great but I just can't think of anything."

This is a typical layout. you have just visioned the wall lay out different then he did.

"Then one more question. One of the black pvc pipes shown on the picture slopes in the wrong direction. I've tried everything in the house but there is never draining any water through it. Any idea what the purpose of this pipe is?"

Yes, This pipe vents the bathroom group. There will never be any water draining through it. However, your plumber got sloppy and left you with back fall on the lavatory drain line. This can be corrected by cutting the top horizontal pipe and having someone hold a level on the vertical pipe while you pull the cut piece back untill the vertical pipe is plumb. Now mark where the cut end comes to and cut off the excess plus 1/8" for the difference in the 2" ABS coupling that you'll prime and glue the two ends back together with.
    More questions? Fire away! Tom
    mblok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply Tom! This is very helpful.

"This is a typical layout. you have just visioned the wall lay out different then he did. "

It's good to know that this is a typical layout. Given my limited experience I'm still not clear on what an appropriate wall layout for this type of rough in is. Could you please elaborate a bit on that? What type of shower base would you install? What would you do with the space between the wall and the shower base? And where would you add a vanity? I would like to do that somewhere near the toilet but since the furnace is just left of the toilet and the shower right of the toilet it looks like I can only add a vanity right of the shower.

Again thanks for your help.
    Maurits
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 04:41 PM
    To lay out your walls I would need a set on floor plans. Your lavatory is roughed in to the left of the toilet and if I'm reading it right the shower will run from a right hand drain over to the wall so you can't put a vanity there.
    You're looking at a tile shower unless you can find a end drain shower base to fit in the space. Why don't you take a chalk line and snap out the walls and send me a picture of what you have on mind. Just looking at a bare floor with a few pipes is forcing me to fly blind. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in: dap out [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out if my roughed in bath is missing something or not and wondering if I am going to have to redo any of my framing. I have the 4" and 2" drains in the toilet area and a 12"x12" dap out for the tub. Well I took the cover off the dap out to take...

View more questions Search