Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Traveler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2004, 08:56 AM
    Discolored tooth
    I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2004, 06:01 PM
    Discolored tooth
    There is no danger in rinsing your mouth with baking soda as long as you rinse your mouth well with water afterwords. The baking soda could not have caused the discoloration to your tooth. It is not possible to erase the damage because thhe discoloration is too deep. You might consider bleaching or using lasers to clean your teeth. You could have the discolored tooth capped.
    Hope that helped!
    barkerrd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2004, 05:57 PM
    Discolored tooth
    If the dentist says that nerve damage caused the discoloration, you need to have a vitality test done. This test will show if the nerve{s} have died. If so, you need root canal treatment followed by INTERNAL bleaching of the tooth or teeth.
    There are much more conservative treatments than capping the teeth. Bonded veneers can be done wihtout sacrificing the tooth structure needed for capping.
    Gracie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2004, 11:56 AM
    Re: Discolored tooth
    There is an amazing site on the 'net that I stumbled upon recently that will answer ALL of your questions about dentistry, including restorations of every kind -- the pros and cons. Go to: www.secrettruthaboutdentists.com
    Let me know what you think!!
    barkerrd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2004, 12:35 PM
    Re: Discolored tooth
    I am not impressed with a web site that makes you buy their book before they answer questions. I am also not impressed with a site that uses a lay person as the administrator. These forums should have an experience professional as the leader.
    Every profession has good and bad. I never consult or hire anyone without a referral from a credible source
    andrew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2005, 09:42 AM
    I came across a site the other day selling tooth bleaching kits, do these things really work ?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Tooth
    Hi, Newbie,
    If you are not impressed with the site, then don't ask any question here!
    Your best advice will come from your dentist. He/she can suggest what to do to get your tooth white again.
    If you want advice from a non-professional site, that is what you get; non-professional advice.
    No, I would not buy a book to try solving the problem.
    That is what dentists are for. Why are you washing out your mouth with baking soda? Did your dentist tell you to do that?
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth abscess. [ 19 Answers ]

I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's...

Tooth whitening [ 4 Answers ]

About the laser whitening in the dentist's office, has anyone has that procedure done, and if so, what were the results? I have a little discoloration and wonder if the whitening would even the color out when it is done... any thoughts?

When will permanent tooth appear [ 1 Answers ]

Our 8 year old daughter has lost one front top tooth and just lost her 4th tooth on the bottom. The other front top tooth has been loose for over a month but hasn't come out yet. The first top tooth came out I think about 4 months ago and nothing is taking it's place yet. The new permanent bottom...

Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the...

Discolored Hot Water [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help... My hot water is a light yellow dinge color. Not very noticeable and you can only notice it when you fill a glass up with hot water and set it next to a glass filled with cold water. We recently converted from an electric water heater to a gas water heater in...

View more questions Search