Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Fiberglass vs. Wood Front Door
    Any thoughts on replacing my front door with a Fiberglass Door vs a real wood door. The fiberglass door I'm looking at is http://www.masonite.com/PRODUCT_GUID...aCraftsman.pdf . I would think for the long run the fiberglass door is the better value and more durable than wood. Anyone have any experience with a fiberglass front door?
    toolguyny Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2007, 09:22 PM
    My only advice is that if you are going to use the fiberglas door, get it PREFINISHED FROM THE FACTORY! The gel stains to finish them yourself do not last and it looks absolutely horrid when it peels.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Yes, wood doors are becoming a thing of the past.

Fiberglass doors are the most durable,scratch resistance is higher than wood, finishes(applied correctly) stand up very well to elements being that fiberglass doesn't expand or contract like the wood doors did, and costs are negligible.

KBC
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 28, 2007, 04:26 PM
    I agree with KBC, there is nothing better than fiberglass, it doesn't dent, its easy to stain and paint, and the prices have come way down from what they started at,

As far as I'm concerned, wood last then metal doors then fiberglass being the best,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Exterior Fiberglass Door [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm replacing a metal exterior door with a pre-primed fiberglass exterior door and I'm wondering what is the best painting method and the best paint to use. Also, if I paint with a brush, should the paint be thinned. Thanks. LocoE

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

I painted a fiberglass door without primer [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new 15 light exterior fiberglass door and painted it with latex paint. I did not know to sand it, prime it, or wash it. THe paint is not sticking to the plastic around the 15 light panes and even though I allowed 5 hours before closing the door it stuck to the weather stripping and...

Fiberglass shower door replacement [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older fiberglass shower unit and I would like to change the sliding glass door unit. Can the door unit be removed and a traditional shower curtain replace it? I understanding I would have to plug the holes from the mounting screws. If the traditional shower curtain and rod will work,...

View more questions Search