Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spickens21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Paying child support
    [F]My question actually is not that simple.

Let me start by giving you some history. My wife had a child before her and I was married. She lived with her parents who helped raised her until we got married. Anyway her parents don't like me and has not been to thrilled with me doing anything with Caitlyn (that is the child’s name.) My wife and I have been married for 7 years and over the course of these years my wife’s parents are continuing to cause problems with how she is suppose to raise her. To make matters worse my in-laws have separated and my mother-in-law has moved in with us, which has made matters worse then what they already are. This is just the tip of the iceberg, as I don't know how to explain everything else. Now my wife is not one to cause problems within her family and so I was wondering that if her mother moves out or gets back together with her husband and they take Caitlyn or if my wife gives up parental rights to Caitlyn, would I have to pay child support on Caitlyn since my wife is a stay at home mom.

Thank you for all the advice and help that everyone gives me.

P.S. If there is any other info they anyone could think of that I should include please let me know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:56 PM
    1. Is the child's yours, ( had child before you were married? )

Are you still married?

Your wife has to get some backbone, if she gives up her parental right ( which she really can't do anyway) and you are the other parent, you then have full rights, since she can't give her daughter to someone else, if she does not have custody, you would.

And grandparents can't take the child, if you don't let them.

Next, stand up to her parents, set your foot down and be the husband and father.

Dec 28, 2007, 03:40 PM
    To your first question no the child is not mine, yes we are still married and I have stood up to her parents that is one of the many reasons that we do not get along. I agree that my wife does need to get a backbone but that may never happen.

Thank you for your response.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 06:01 PM
    If the child is not yours, why is the biological father not already paying child support, he needs to be, your wife needs to do that.

Also when she went to court after the baby was born, did she get full custody, did the biological father get visititation.
    If your wife gives up custody, the biological father would have rights to file for custody, not the grandparents.

Dec 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
    She does not know who the biological father is because she was raped.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Effectively, the child is yours, the wife is yours, the house is yours. She has no claim on anything, and its up to you to put her in her place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father paying child support [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father that gets ssi still have to pay child support. He can work but he don't want to. I have 4 kids and he don't pay.

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Should I let me ex quit paying Child Support? [ 5 Answers ]

Is it ever wise to waive a child support payment in return for spousal cooperation or more time with the child? I no longer absolutely need the child support since I remarried.

Father not paying child support [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have a three yr old boy. His father and I have been separated since my son was 4 months old. I put him on child support and my case was approved since Nov. 2005, but I have not seen anything financially. I called the child support people and they said that it seems like he has made no...

My ex husband wants to stop paying child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I live in New York state. My husband and I split 12 years ago when my daughter was 6. They recently had a break down in their relationship (she's upset because he's moving to North Carolina with his girlfriend), and he's decided to take me to court to...

View more questions Search