Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 09:26 PM
    t-nails
    Hi,
    Using W2K pro and have a bunch of jpg photos in folders. Now at one time when I open a folder I could see all thumbnails of photos(actual picture) and just scroll through to pick them. But somewhere along the lines aka program change or removal, I no longer see them instead an icon of what looks like a red apple plus photo title. But no photo -just icon.
    Any ideas?
    Stu
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 06:01 AM
    I don't remember W2K well, but I think I remember that problem:

1. Right click in an empty space, hover over View and be sure Thumnails is selected.

If it is, then

2. it may be that the default for what program is used to open them has been messed up.

Right click on one of them, choose "Open With", check the box for "always use this program to open this type of file", then choose the program that you want to open them.

After opening the pic, go back to the folder. Did that fix it?

Dec 28, 2005, 10:53 AM
    t-nails
    Hi Rick,
    Well tried your sugg. And it did not work. Only thing it did was to show new icon of program I picked and when dbl clicked on icon it opens in that program.
    I am baffled by this cause it sounded like it should have worked.
    Seems like something is missing or deleted to bring back this option.
    Really is a pain cause of amount of photos to look at when doing slide show productions.
    Any other ideas?
    Stu
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Drat. I've asked Curlyben to take a look... and will look into further myself.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 11:11 AM
    Is it possible for you to post a screenshot of the red apple icon?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 28, 2005, 11:12 AM
    OK take a look at the attached picture. As you can see next to folders is a little icon that controls views.
    Can you change it to thumbnails from here ?

Please bear in mind that this was done from XP so it maybe slightly different in 2000. Unfourtunatly I don't have access to a 2000 box to check.

The only other thing I think it maybe is file associations, where by the file type doesn't default to your main image viewer.

Hope this helps a little.

It would also be good to know what system changes you have made as you mentioned you'd removed something.
    Attached Images

Dec 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
    Hey Guys,
    Here is a screenshot of one of my photo folders. The small window to the left is a preview window that is set up in "customize this folder " in view menu. Thought this would do the trick but only opens indiv pic in this window.These are .jpg files
    Only changes I can think of are removing quickplayer/time for windows.
    But have since put it back. Even using above suggestion making one program a default for these file types doesn't do it.
    Perhaps when updating Win2K it may have changed something?
    I am stumped to the max on this.
    Thanks
    Attached Images

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 01:25 PM
    Preview
    Hi,
    This is a "shot in the dark", but since nothing else has worked, it might be worth looking into.
    When in My Pictures, or where ever it is, click on View at the top, then look to see if "As A Web Page" is checked. But since you already have the preview pane up, that might not be it.
    Have your tried View, then Details?
    Maybe changing to View Details, showing file names, date, etc, on the same line might let it show in the preview pane.
    Just some thoughts.

Dec 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Well Gang,
    It looks like the mystery continues. I have tried all of the above without success. Remember it's Win 2000 pro and current serv pk installed.

There are these photo programs installed:
    MS photo editor
    MS picture it express
    Quicktime for windows ( which is what the red apple icon is)
    Quicktime
    Kodak imaging

I appreciate the help.
    Stu
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 05:24 PM
    Yes it does look like an icon QuickTime would use. How about uninstalling all things QuickTime to see if the thumbnails return. If they do and you still want the capability to view QT and .mov movies then install QuickTime Alternative:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Dec 29, 2005, 06:19 AM
    None of the above are working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acrylic vs. Silk nails [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering fake nails, but know nothing about them. What is the difference between acrylic, silk or gell set? Do they damage real nails? Which is the least damaging? I want a french manicure and understand that certain types of artificial nails have the polish in/on them and do not chip. ...

Looking for sheetrock nails that don't rust! [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed quite a bit of sheetrock, and it seems that the nail heads always eventually rust, when located near a shower or tub. The screws do a much better job, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture an aluminum alloy nail that would not rust. I've looked for...

View more questions Search