Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Dec 27, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Nailing Molding
    Quick question: when nailing up molding (base and casing), *where* do you like to nail? Thinner edges, thicker edges? Closer to edge of molding? Closer to center of molding?

FYI: I'm using MDF, to be painted.

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 02:51 PM
    It is better to nail inside the thick part of the molding. If you nail on an outside edge, there is more of a possibility of splitting or cracking occurring. Sometimes, I will even drill a small pilot hole that is just a little bit smaller than the nail that I will be hammering in to prevent splitting, even when nailing into the thickest part. I would then use a nailset on the head of the finishing nail to make sure that the head of the nail is flush with the surface of the molding. Using a nailset isn't always necessary, but sometimes it is.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2007, 03:18 PM
    I nail on a flat portion of the thickest part of the trim, as long as it's centered enough to pull both sides evenly against the wall.

I always predrill using the same nail that I'm using as a fastener chucked into the drill.

Thanks,
    Json
    toolguyny Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2007, 09:30 PM
    If you are using an air nailer... it does not matter where you nail... MDF will not split unless you are really close to the end or if its already been damaged somehow. You want to get your nails into wood (the door jam or stud) if possible. Use caulk to fill in the hole and paint over, you'll never see it. In the case of the base trim... there should be a sill plate at the very bottom of the wall (a 2 x 4 parallel to the floor, on the floor) behind the sheetrock to nail to.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
    I wouldn't suggest nailing to the shoe only, since often, it's nearly non existent. If you have a second layer of subfloor and anything other than linoleum, it can actually be lower than the floor. Even if you have 1" of your shoe higher than your finished floor, you're going to want to fasten the top of the base as well as the bottom or it may roll away from the wall at the top, so you'll be looking for the studs anyway :)

Thanks,
    Json

Dec 28, 2007, 03:30 PM
    OK, thanks guys!

I'm in the middle of the project, and I'm using most of your advice.

Now, as for the nail gun: I'm using 4d nails. Sound right? (Using MDF molding.) Also, the nails are sinking pretty deep. I keep reducing the PSI, but to little difference. Right now, I'm down to 70 PSI.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 28, 2007, 04:31 PM
    On base board you want to nail in the flat areas only, and keep the nails and 1 1/2 away from each other for the smaller base and further apart for 5 1/4 base.
    You want to avoid putting the nails really close to each other for the simple reason it just doesn't hold as well

As for casing 6penny or 8penny nails for the outside edge, or 2 or 2 1/2 finish gun nails
    For the inside edge, thinner side, use 3penny or 4 penny hand drive nails or brad nails for a nail gun 1 1/4.

Jan 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Thanks a ton.

The molding is finished (except for window casing -- live to fight another day) and looks great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown molding [ 16 Answers ]

I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?

Molding and Trim? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased white quarter round molding (the plastic mold proof composite) from Home Depot, and need to install it in my kitchen around the base board trim. What's the best application for this install? I was not sure if I should liquid nail it to the painted wood baseboard, or nail it and then...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Crown molding [ 6 Answers ]

I need help to cope a inside 45 on crown molding

Base molding [ 2 Answers ]

How do you install base molding to metal studs

View more questions Search