Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newnbold1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Can you ask for child support on a child if you OWE support for the same child?
    We have had custody of my daughter for 12 years. Tons of things have happened in those years. My daughter has truly shown her true colors. Three years ago she went to live with my mother, who I gave legal guardianship to. She has now done the same things to my mother. She is almost 17 years old and is now going to live with my ex-wife. My ex wants me to sign over my rights. I have since read on here that this is not a good idea to do. That it does not relinquish me from child support or anything like that.. only the rights and say so of her. So this is no longer an option. I guess my question would be this... in the last 12 years my ex has NOT paid support and is over 10 thousand in arrears, how will the whole child support thing work? Can she now because she is getting our daughter come after me and ask for an insane amount of money even though SHE owes a lot already?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newnbold1991
    because she is getting our daughter come after me and ask for an insane amount of money even though SHE owes alot already?
    Hello new:

Nahhhh. Judges ain't dumb.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
    It's true that you should not sign over your rights. Your ex can seek a judgement for child support as the custodial parent but it'll be reduced by the amount that she owes for her back child support. You'll have to be sure to insist on this, the judge may not do it on his/her own. As it is, part of the back child support is owed to you and part is owed to your mother. You should have taken steps earlier to keep more on top of things. Again, you can't rely on the system to do it for you, you've got to do it yourself.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Unless you have a court ordered jugdement for child support, your ex owes nothing. Get a free consultation with a good lawyer, and go from there to protect your own interests.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:30 AM
    From birth till 2 she lived with.. you and her mom or just mom... hard to tell from your post.
    From 2 till 14 she lived with you and whomever your woman was or guy...
    From 14 till 17 she lived with granny..
    Now her mom is going to give it a shot.
    You say she has showed her true colors over the years... normally that is what teenagers do but do they need shuffled from one person to another when their behavior is troublesome. . Now you are worried about child support. I feel sorry for your daughter.
    newnbold1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    From birth till 2 she lived with...? you and her mom or just mom...hard to tell from your post.
    From 2 till 14 she lived with you and whomever your woman was or guy....
    From 14 till 17 she lived with granny..
    Now her mom is gonna give it a shot.
    You say she has showed her true colors over the years...normally that is what teenagers do but do they need shuffled from one person to another when their behavior is troublesome. . Now you are worried about child support. I feel sorry for your daughter.
    Just to clarify for you. From birth until 4.. she was shuffled back and forth between myself and my ex. Until I put my foot down and said enough! Now 12 yrs. Later she has returned to my ex. I've had full custody up until this point, except my mother having guardianship, which is nothing compaired to custody! She will be 17 in May. Most teenagers do not go through the welfare system and CPS! This is what I meant as far as "true colors"! All the lying and misleading... just cause she wasn't getting her way! And now doing the same to my mother! My mom has only tried to help her.. and this is her repayment? Sorry no sympathy here! And yes.. it is finally time for her mother to give it a shot as you would say.. she has had NOTHING to do w/ our daughter for 12yrs.! About time! We've all tried to raise her.. let her do it now. Since she is all of her supposed problems anyway! So please.. unless you know ALL of someone's story.. refrain from all the smarta@@ comments! Thank you!
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Most teenagers do not go through the welfare system and CPS! This is what I meant as far as "true colors"! All the lying and misleading... just cause she wasn't getting her way! And now doing the same to my mother!
    If you could elaborate more, it would clear up some confusion.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Newnbold I raised my children and I take responsibility for them... I also chose who their father is and I take responsibility for that as well... so if my 3 children/teenagers are unruly then it must be my parenting style. I take full responsibility and I don't shuffle off my kids to anyone!! Believe me it ain't been no bed of roses. Maybe you should have tried that.
    If you put your business out in the streets, don't get angry if someone makes a comment you don't like.
    I'll say it again, I feel sorry for your daughter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2008, 11:55 AM
    If the mom has been given full custody, then she may be entitled to support. Whether she owes you support from a previous court ordered support agreement or not. But not some huge amount.

You have about 1 yr to go, she will be 18 and your responsibility will end.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Scott, what if the child goes to college or doesn't pass the 12 grade?

Jan 3, 2008, 12:57 PM
    I'm guessing that a child like the one described won't go beyond HS.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Yeah, but if that child did, wouldn't the person that the courts ordered to pay support, have to continue to pay until that child reached a certain age.

Jan 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
    It depends on the original court order. While many support orders go to 18 or when they finish school, not all do.
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Most will go until the child finishes college, or age 22. I doubt that custody was changed, that takes a judge to decide, but living with ma may be what this child needs at this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search