Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Dec 27, 2005, 06:25 PM
    On Being a Christian
    What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that?

M:)RGANITE
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Christianity
    Being a Christian is not a denominatin, it is not speaking in tounges, or it is "not" speaking in tounges. And the entire bible is a Christian handbook, not merely the few words that Jesus said.

Jesus was the promise of the old testement and the promise for the last day also.

And in many ways it is the rest of Pauls writtings that help give us a good idea of behavior and correction in christian practice

In all ways Christ and his followers were to believe in Jesus as the Christ and the Savior of the world. Each of the first writers gives the history of Jesus, each with a special message to specific people, jew, gentile, one showing the history another the power.

So being a Christian is a way of life, if you are a Christian you are to live your entire life with the love of Christ. But it is an entier way of life.
    The biggest problem is that too many people take one verse not the entire bible and try to say you have to do this, or you can't do that.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that?
    Christ told his disciples to, among other things, go out and Baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

No, these acts do not make a person a Christian. A Christian is a disciple of Christ.

No, not all people who are Christians at this moment will be saved. Sometimes folk choose to reject the gift.

Not all will attend the wedding feast.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 07:27 AM
    Be Saved
    Hi,
    Others have given you some good answers.
    Some churches believe one must be Baptized to be a Christian, others don't.
    My own belief, the belief of our Church, is following Jesus's direction to the Disciples; be Babtized.
    Jesus was Baptized, in order to show us the way.
    Repenting of one's sins, accepting Christ as our Savior and Lord, then being Babtized means one is a Christian; and a member of that Church. But, one must continue living life, according to being a Servant of Jesus.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 15, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Jesus told us to speak to others about the good news of the kingdom.
    Told us to imitate him closely. But going through the motions of obeying God's will is not enough. Some persons go through the motions for ulterior selfish reasons.

Jude 1:

12These are blemishes[e] on your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, looking after themselves; waterless clouds, swept along by winds; fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted; 13wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever. NKJV

So being a Christian means much more than merely claiming to be a Christian. It means being in an approved personal relationship with God via obedience to his will.

If a person claims to be Christian but goes about acting like the devil, then his sincerity comes into question and claiming to be might be useless since he is fooling no one except maybe himself via some sort of twisted rationalization. On the other hand, if he is ill and is not doing such things intentionally, he is forgiven because it's Adamic sin which predominates in his case. Or it could also be lack of proper knowledge and he acts in ignorance.

Luke 23:34
    But Jesus was saying, " Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing " And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. NKJV

In short, only God knows who is a Christian and who is not. We can reach conclusions by what we see but they remain in the realm of opinion because we cannot scrutinize the heart.

Proverbs 4:23
    Watch over your heart with all diligence,For from it flow the springs of life. NKJV

Will all Christians be saved?

Yes, assuming that they are sincere Christians.
    Will all those claiming to be Christians be saved? No.

BTW

Jesus specifically mentioned this practice of putting on a hipocritical show of righteousness and condemned it.

Matthew 23:28
    "So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. NKJV
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Apr 15, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Is it, say, possible for Christians to view other Christians as if they were not thieves, vagabonds, and ne'er -do-wells?

Why should a discussion on what constututes or defines a Christian devolve into drawing lines in the sand and calling those who stand beyond it heretics and non-Christians?

What is wrong with supplying a simple (if it exists) definition of what a Christian is without bursting into all kinds of fervid denunciations of what a Christian isn't?

How hard would that be for a good-hearted follower of Jesus?

M:)GANITE
    -

Apr 15, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Nothing is wrong with a straightforward definition if that's all the questioner asked for. But if the questioner askes a series of questions then each question demands a separate answer.

1. What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do?

2.And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved?

3. What does Jesus say about that?

None of the above questions asks for a simple definition.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2006, 04:50 AM
    HI,
    Different denominations and religions believe a little differently, in being Saved.
    My own Church believes that one must repent, accept Jesus as their Savior, and be Baptized. Then, and only then, is one a Christian.
    Under that description, Yes; all Christians will be saved.
    -

Apr 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    HI,
    Different denominations and religions believe a little differently, in being Saved.
    My own Church believes that one must repent, accept Jesus as their Savior, and be Baptized. Then, and only then, is one a Christian.
    Under that description, Yes; all Christians will be saved.

How do you understand the following scriptures in relation to being Christian?

Revelation 22:15
    Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

Deuteronomy 28:2
    "All these blessings will come upon you and overtake you if you obey the LORD your God
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2006, 09:34 PM
    Just accept and believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior. Then, live by the first commandment. If you live by the first commandment, you will automatically follow the rest.
    -

Apr 16, 2006, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Just accept and believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior. Then, live by the first commandment. If you live by the first commandment, you will automatically follow the rest.
    Very true, both Jesus and his Apostles believed and taught this.

(New American Standard Bible)

Mark 12:30-32
    30(A)AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'

31"The second is this, '(B)YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

32The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that (C)HE IS ONE, AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE BESIDES HIM;

Romans 13:10
    Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13:8
    Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

Galatians 5:14
    For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, " YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

James 2:8
    If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, " YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

"Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission."
    DUKE-OF-URL Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 7, 2007, 03:12 AM
    Is it, say, possible for Christians to view other Christians as if they were not thieves, vagabonds, and ne'er -do-wells?

Why should a discussion on what constututes or defines a Christian devolve into drawing lines in the sand and calling those who stand beyond it heretics and non-Christians?

What is wrong with supplying a simple (if it exists) definition of what a Christian is without bursting into all kinds of fervid denunciations of what a Christian isn't?

How hard would that be for a good-hearted follower of Jesus?

M:)GANITE
    I have many friends that I love dearly are diffent denominations baptist,seven day advantist etc.

All I think is important is that they be born again and except Jesus as there savior and Lord.
    Once that is done he/she is saved and the holy spirit will start working on them. I know there is scripture to back me up here but be can't think of it at the moment... some one help me here lol
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 7, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Okay.. I am getting to the point where I have to ask this. Christianity? It is starting to sound like.. Democrat.. Republican.. Where did the word originate. I cannot find it in the Bible anywhere! I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. But the word Christian doesn't seem to mean to what I originally thought it did as a child. Someone help me here, if you have found the origin of this word.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 08:55 AM
    For reference, Christian is used in the Bible in
    Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28 and 1 Peter 4:16 :)
    scottyv Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

May 6, 2008, 06:29 PM
    [QUOTE]
    What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do?
    Many things but Jesus sums it up thusly:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and the next is like it (as in synonymous not secondary) Love your neighbor.

And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention?
    Honestly it depends who you ask, but if I were you I would stick to the text, there are some very silly beliefs being perpetuated out there.

Will all Christians be saved?
    It depends on what you mean by saved I suppose.

What does Jesus say about that?
    There are several references to salvation, Zacheaus, the woman who anointed him at the pharisee's table, the criminal on the cross beside him, to name a few. Each have a different context, it is pretty subjective as is most of this stuff and seems to be interpreted loosely.

Zacheaus was saved because of the way he changed how he treated people. The woman for her humble recognition and anointing of Jesus, and the criminal for simply recognizing who Jesus was.

Many churches have different beliefs good luck... if you can figure them out let me know.

Peace,

Scotty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My christian parents are getting separated [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my parents have been marry for many years. We are all Christians in my family. My father has a very difficult temperament (attitude) which has been the problem between them over the years. But now my Mom says she is tired of putting up with all his rudeness and all. My father says he is...

Jew/christian marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.

Christian Record of Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Found this on another site,I visit, wouldn't this be a better record of Marriage, over the so called Marriage License the state would like you to get. What is a license anyway. Link: http://www.suijuris.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=508&d=1132798112 Black Law Dictionary Seventh...

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

Early Christian Manuscripts [ 5 Answers ]

Tough question for anyone willing to tackle it. :) I read references frequently about the thousands and thousands of manuscripts which stand as evidence for the veracity of the Bible. Yet no one ever cites their sources. How do I verify that there are indeed all of these early manuscripts? ...

View more questions Search