Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    just1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 05:29 PM
    'Cross line' in circuits
    I would like to know if it's possible for 'cross line' or contamination (don't know if it's the correct word) to exists in electrical systems just like in a telecommunication systems when one person phones the other person and one or both of these parties can sometimes hear the conversations of a third parties or unknown persons talking to each other through that same phone. In fact if you are one of the callers, you can talk to that stranger - it's like a line that has got mixed up.
    If the above can happen in an electrical circuits:
    a) How can we detect it in an electrical circuit?
    b) Got any suggestion on how to solve the problem - can re-wiring solve the problem?

Would appreciate any good response, if any. Thank you.
    Regards
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 05:39 PM
    Noise like from a fluorescent light could transfer from one wire to another in the same conduit or even NM running close together. It would only affect a sensitive device. There would be no real power transfer unless the wires were shorted together. You can sometimes measure a voltage in a wire next to a hot one, but any load will drop it. Shared neutrals can give strange readings too.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Sounds as if you are describing "crosstalk", weak signals induced onto a nearby conductor, acting as an antenna. Special test equipment usually is needed to detect these signals.

There may be more practical methods of detecting, however need an RF expert to assist with that. Being an electrician, I am stuck in 60 cycle mode.

Communication cables should be at least 2 inches away from power cables, ideally cross each other at 90 deg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuits [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that the switch has been closed for a length of time sufficiently long for the capacitor to become fully charged. (a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor. R1=16.00 kΩ, R2=12.00 kΩ, and R3=2.00 kΩ. (b) find the charge on the capacitor. 9.00V, 10.0uC I found part (a) but I'm...

New bathroom circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my 2nd floor bathroom and adding laundry (gas dryer). I replacing old circuits with 2 new circuits. One dedicated to washer/dryer and another for one outlet, 2 vanity lights, 1 general illumination light, and for the exhaust fan/shower light. Can I make one 12/3 run from my...

Testing circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Anybody have creative ideas on how to test light and receptacle circuits in a brand new house that does not have power yet from the utility company. The sub panel is complete with all the wires and circuit breakers connected. All the receptacles and lights switches are installed. Has anyone...

Number of circuits [ 5 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remolding my basement, basically 2 20x20 rooms. My question is how many separate circuits do I need for the electrical. All I’m talking about is lights and general use outlets. Could all the lights and outlets be on one circuit, or should they be separated? By room or by...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search