Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LilRed148 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Price Increase
    I am a hairdresser in a nursing home with the elderly on limited incomes. I have not raised my prices in 5 years. Please Help... thank You..
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Those people probably get raises in their social security? You can always explain it by saying the cost of your supplies have gone up... I'm sure they know all about inflation and can tell you stories about how much things cost when they were younger... It would make for great conversations...

You could offer a discount card such as pay for 11 and get the 12th free to go along with the cost increase, so that over a period they might feel they were getting a bargain... It would be a nice promotion to do in January so that by December, they could get free... But then you might have to do a lot free in December... and that assumes you'll be there in December...

You'd have to keep a record of it though, and unfortuneately some might not live long enough to collect?

Another idea might be to have a special price roll back to what a certain service costs 50 years ago as an example... offer donuts and coffee for a dime? Many of your custumers won't complain at all, and others may only come for the companionship and enjpy the coffee, donuts, or cookies enough to feel that you are great even though you have to charge more... They might be willing to pay for the extra services...

In the end, you might lose a customer or two, but they will always come and go, and others will take their place out of convenience...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Good ideas above!

How much are you currently charging and to what amount are you wanting to raise your price, please?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LilRed148
    I am a hairdresser in a nursing home with the elderly on limited incomes. I have not raised my prices in 5 years. Please Help.......... thank You..
    Having been Vice-President of a Beauty Supply Company, I know what you are up against price wise. Having my mother in a Nursing Home at the present time and having the Hair Dresser do mother's hair each week, I see that side of it also. She is allowed $50.00 from her check after Nursing Home is paid. I might suggest that you send a letter out to the residents or their POA's, (depending on who pays for your service), two months in advance with short explanation that there will be a slight increase in price for services beginning (and give the two month ahead date). This will give them time to adjust to the information so they won't be surprised from one month then the next it goes up. You might plan an open house (inhouse) event and have balloons, give a small mirror (like those the Beauty Supply houses sell with the name of your business on them, they are small, and inexpensive or rain hats (the little items you can get at the Beauty Supply as handouts to customers) what ever would be applicable per each resident as a special 'thankyou" for their patronage. That way, you are giving them respect and letting them feel appreciated and special while allowing yourself the much needed increase. My mother has dementia and would not realize any of the above anyway and many would not as you know. But a few would and it is always just fun for the residents to see ballons and feel festive. Atmosphere is so important. Mother notices pretty flowers, balloons, decorations although she does not comprehend why they are there, they make her smile and it is good stimulation to make her thinking processes more active. While I agree with much of what Oneguy suggests, I might suggest perhaps not having food items since many residents are diabetics and you cannot watch carefully enough who might eat foods that might cause their blood sugar to go up. I hope this helps in some way. When mother first went into the Nursing Home, residents would ask us to get them this or that. We would automatically start to go get it to help them but asked the nurse and he said, "No". And explained it could cause a health problem. I hope this helps. Even if all you do is send out the letter a couple of months ahead of time with maybe a one time special offer, it would probably offset anyone getting too upset. You have to make a living, you can't do it and just break even. Best of luck and how thankful we are for hairdressers who are patient enough to give loving care to these precioius people who were once such viable active people. Sometimes, their biggest treat is to have their hair fixed and get compliments on it as they pass through the halls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price increase Letter [ 1 Answers ]

How do you write a polite letter stating price increase of your products?

Price increase [ 2 Answers ]

Letter advising customers of a price increase

Price increase [ 2 Answers ]

How do I have my receptionist tell my clients that my haircutting prices are going up?

I need to increase the price. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a letter for a cleaning business to increase the price of the weekly cleaning. We have not had a price increase in 7 years.

View more questions Search