Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    no1photogirl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 09:26 PM
    2-yr. bad rental history
    A year ago my family rented an apt. in Delaware, and unfortunately, due to my awaiting disability benefits, we fell behind and owe about $4000. We went to court, and the only money judgment is for $1,300 - (the rest of the money is being disputed, as the court dismissed the case because the amt. was not accurate). In the meantime, we moved to another rental property and basically fell into the same situation, (we again owe in the ballpark of $3,000 - (again, the case was dismissed, as there is a dispute over monies owed). We don't dispute that money is owed, and with our income tax we want to set the record straight. In the meantime, I've been awarded disability, only it comes too late to correct our rental history before we have to move in about two weeks.

My question is this - we are desperate to move, has anyone heard of a situation where a landlord will allow a month-to-month lease - as we now have adequate income - our prior landlords don't want to hear anything from us until they are paid in full. We need to move and want to know our options.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
    You can look for a landlord who will do a month-to-month, but it might not be too easy to find. Most landlords prefer to rent for a year (or a minimum of 6 months) because of stability. Given your recent history and the amounts you owe, you might also find it difficult to find someone who is willing to rent to you - you're quite a risk to a landlord.

Your best bet would be to find family or friends to move in with on a temporary basis until your debts are paid off so when you speak to a new landlord you can explain the situation and show you've corrected it. If that's not an option for you, keep searching, and hopefully you will find someone willing to accommodate you.

Dec 27, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Thanks - actually, this is an option I do currently have.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I'm also curious as to how you've managed to move into these properties without a security deposit and 1 or 2 month's rent in advance as that's usually required. But Jillian's advice is probably your best bet at this point.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by no1photogirl
    Thanks - actually, this is an option I do currently have.
    If you can move in with family and friends that will help you a lot. Get your debts paid off, and save up enough so you can put the deposits on a new property and still have extra money in your checking account. Keep track of your income each month, and when you meet a potential landlord, be very, very prepared and organized (and honest!). If you come off as someone who got into a bad spot at one time but fixed it and is moving in the right direction now, someone will be much more likely to take a chance with you.

Best of luck to you.

Dec 27, 2007, 09:14 PM
    In answering s.cianci, I did have to put down one month's security in each rental situation. I've told the landlords upfront what the situation is, as I've always found this to be in my family's best interest - I currently have a friend whose realtor is willing to work with us with our current situation, as I plan on turning things around and correcting our rental "flaws" starting 2008. Or I may opt to stay with family, as suggested by Jillian, as this would also be financial advantageous to get things turned around.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Many places don't require leases, some don't even do back ground checks, but of course many of these that don't do either will be dumps, trailer parks, apartments in the worst part of town.

I could go down town Atlanta right now with 400 dollars and no ID and be living somewhere tomorrow, Now I may be too scared to go to sleep but there is always some place.

Dec 29, 2007, 07:43 PM
    That's true - with kids, and having lived on the outskirts of the city most of their lives, I'm trying to find a decent situation - actually, I have.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Good, glad you found something
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2007, 08:25 PM
    May I suggest you are going about it backwards. What you should be looking to do is give a long term lease, not month to month. On a month to month the landlord has no security for continuity.

A landlord may keep you on a short leash, meaning they will start evictions if you are even a few days late. But they want an idea that you will be hanging around and not run out. Soyou would be better off offering a 2 or more year lease.

Feb 10, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Thanks, I do have a year lease currently, with a lease purchase option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental History being withheld [ 2 Answers ]

We had a 1 yr. lease that expired almost 5 months ago and were at that time asked to re-sign another 1 yr lease. The Realtor said she would contact us when to come in and re-sign, she never called.At first we didn't mind because we knew our rent was always paid early, we never had any major...

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Credit Score affected by Rental History [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved out of an apartment since the company doubled the rent. They claim I owe them $150 for the apartment being left dirty which is untrue. I don't want to pay this on a matter of principle but the new apartment place claims my rental history is not OK. How can I dispute this? Is...

Rental [ 1 Answers ]

Can a landlord ask for first, last and security deposit up front in nh?

Obtaining Rental History from a former landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I need to obtain a letter about my rental history or a legitimate contact from a former landlord. I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles area in September 2005. I lived at the Los Angeles residence from 7/2000 to 9/2005. The building was sold to a company called 800 Gold LTD in 2002. The onsite...

View more questions Search