Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8800gt14 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
    My New PC Won't Work -
    Well I just got these new stuff for my PC.

8800 GT gfx card
    P5N-E SLI Motherboard
    Intel core 2 duo -E6750
    2gig ram Corsair 2x1024.

Well this is the problem. I turn it on. And I go to safe mode.. loads of writing comes down the screen but stops after like 20 lines. The PC then restarts.. :mad:

another problem is that I go to start windows normally, and I see a blue screen flash, and the windows xp logo, then a black blank screen comes on. Then the PC restarts :( I've tried taking 1gig of ram out and trying it. And it does just the same. I've also tried reseting the CMOS, and didn't do anything. I have also made sure all the settings are correct in the BIOs. :mad: Will Formatting the old hard drive that's in there now solve this? Or if I reinstall windows?

Any help on how to get this sorted ? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks :cool:
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
    If you replaced your motherboard in a PC that already had Windows installed--which is what it sounds like--you will likely have to perform a repair install. Windows chooses the proper bus drivers for your hard drive during installation. When you changed your motherboard, you changed the bus and now Windows cannot access the hard drive(s) with the old drivers.

Boot to the Windows XP CD. Select "Install Windows." Setup will attempt to detect previously installed versions of Windows. It should locate your previous install and give you the option to repair it. Doing this should not delete any data or applications, although some highly integrated apps--such as virus protection--may need to be reinstalled afterwards.

Dec 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    If you replaced your motherboard in a PC that already had Windows installed--which is what it sounds like--you will likely have to perform a repair install. Windows chooses the proper bus drivers for your hard drive during installation. When you changed your motherboard, you changed the bus and now Windows cannot access the hard drive(s) with the old drivers.

Boot to the Windows XP CD. Select "Install Windows." Setup will attempt to detect previously installed versions of Windows. It should locate your previous install and give you the option to repair it. Doing this should not delete any data or applications, although some highly integrated apps--such as virus protection--may need to be reinstalled afterwards.
    Thanks for the help.. but wouldn't formatting the hard drive sort it? Because all the old drivers would be wiped.. and I wouldn't mind if I did that.

Dec 27, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 8800gt14
    Thanks for the help.. but wouldnt formatting the hard drive sort it ?? because all the old drivers wud be wiped.. and i wouldnt mind if i did that.
    If that is the action you wish to take, it will indeed solve the problem. However, it will take longer and of course you will have to reload all your applications.

Dec 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    If that is the action you wish to take, it will indeed solve the problem. However, it will take longer and of course you will have to reload all your applications.
    Yeah I know, but I have another problem now :(

I turn my PC on and all I get is a blank screen, with a bit of lighting. And nothing comes on.. so I have to turn my PC off then back on.. but after like 5 tries it finally comes on.. and sometimes the screen freezes... do you know why?

Dec 27, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Have you tried re-seating your video card?

Dec 27, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Yeah many times I've even used gfx card out of another PC and it still don't work so its not the gfx card.. il try the cpu out other PC tomorrow.. and if it still don't work. You think it's the motherboard?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 11:58 AM

Back to square one for you. Please tell me you were grounded to the PC's frame when you were handling the cards for install! If you were not, then you might have discharged static electricity into the cards and fried one or more of them.

Also, because of the mother-board change, all the old addresses of registers are no longer correct. Windows has to go through and set everything back up and then correct its registers.

As to a full format, when you loose everything, as you wi8ll, how are you going to get all of your documents back. Everything goes, Windows, applications and data. That is why it is a last chance option.

Have you considered doing a "System Restore"? This might allow Windows to re-writes its pointers and registers for the new cards. Also, before you restore the system make absolutely sure you have used the ADD HARDWARE wizard to change your system resources available to the CPU.

One last suggestion, make certain that the components you have connected to the CPU are compatible with the new mother-board with respect to clock speeds and sockets. You also have to do the same with the PCs original equipment to the new mother-board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Furnace won't work [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Rheem upflow mid efficiency furnace with inshot burners and pilot light. It worked until last night and now when you turn it on heat or turn the temperature up the heat won't kick on. Its at 67 right now and I'm calling for 74 degrees. I've got young children in my home and its getting...

Why won't it work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a acer laptop and when I try to press the question mark button this é comes up how can I make that go away so I can use the question mark:confused:

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

It won't work [ 2 Answers ]

My mp3 player uses napster and you hook it up and when I try to download it says no device detected Whys that

View more questions Search