ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 05:01 PM
    New Regulations for ceiling fan lights
    This is what all the retailers have been telling me lately:

However, if you read the corresponding government document, it says this:

Quote Originally Posted by EPACT2005
    Ceiling Fan Light Kits
    EPACT 2005 created three classes of ceiling fan light kits and established mandatory energy and packaging requirements that apply on or after the dates given below:

Ceiling fan light kits with medium screw base sockets (also called "E26" base types) manufactured on or after January 1, 2007, must be packaged with screw-based compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) that either meet version 3.0 of the ENERGY STAR CFL program requirements or with energy efficiency (lumens per watts) equivalent or better than comparable ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs.

Ceiling fan light kits with pin-based sockets for fluorescent lamps, manufactured on or after January 1, 2007, must be packaged with lamps in all sockets. These lamps must meet the ENERGY STAR program requirements for Residential Light Fixtures, version 4.0.

Ceiling fan light kits with any other socket type including but not limited to candelabra screw base sockets, intermediate screw-base sockets, 2-pin halogen sockets, and bayonet sockets manufactured on or after January 1, 2009, shall not be capable of operating with lamps that total more than 190 watts and must be packaged with lamps that together total 190 watts or less. DOE indicated in a January 11, 2007, final rule that it recognizes that manufacturers may choose to follow one of several possible design pathways to ensure that the light kit is not capable of operating with lamps that total more than 190 watts. 72 FR 1270.
    Here is the document in question:

Appliances & Commercial Equipment Standards: Energy Conservation Standards for Ceiling Fans and Ceiling Fan Light Kits

Has anyone else encountered this yet? At first I was furious at the DOE, as it is more environmentally conscious to offer medium base sockets so compact fluorescents can be used affordably. But it appears the manufacturers have that option, and they are taking the cheap way out.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
    You can bet the ceiling fan manufactures will not bite the bullet. The consumer will pay for any changes in the price of the fixture. Good information thanks for posting it. Those compact fluorescent bulbs are going to look strange in a ceiling fan light.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Maybe I have misunderstood this law. I think all it requires is that instead of giving you a standard bulb included with the package they must give you a CFB. The light kit will still be able to accept a standard incandescent bulb medium base.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
    See, that's how I interpret the law too. But notice the first thing I posted. The manufacturers, and retailers, are interpreting it differently.

I don't mind CFLs in ceiling fan lights. I mind candelabra base.

Dec 27, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Here is a part I just caught on to. "The Energy Policy Act of 2005 established a requirement that all lamps on ceiling fan light kits other than those with medium screw based sockets and pin-based sockets for fluorescent lamps manufactured on or after January 1, 2009, shall not be capable of operating with lamps that in total consume more than 190 watts. (42 U.S.C. 6295(c)) These statutory requirements further the Act's purpose of achieving energy savings during the course of normal operation of ceiling fan light kits. Manufacturers may choose to follow one of several possible design pathways to comply with this energy conservation design standard, including, but not limited to, a fuse, circuit breaker or other current-limiting device. 72 FR 1270.

Current-limiting devices may vary in how quickly they respond, with some responding almost instantaneously to cut off all current when 190 watts is exceeded or to prevent more than 190 watts from being consumed.
    "
    I guess that means after 1-09 you can still use incandescent bulbs but when you hit 190 watts something will trip. I use CFL in many locations but I really am not fond of the slight delay before they come on full. Bet that will change more in the future.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Yes. You here that, Don F? After 09 ceiling fan lights might have.. . FUSES!!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 08:06 AM
    CFR -

I'm not there but I am here. Also I would have heard you if you had spoken with me, but I am able to read your reference.

So as I interpret your interpretation, there will be no fuses associated with ceiling fans until after Jan 01. 2009. Until that time, there will not be any fuses on a fan, period.

Did I get that correct? LOL :)

Dec 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Yep, "a fuse, circuit breaker or other current-limiting device. 72 FR 1270." some limiting device will be used after 1-09.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
    My understanding of the law is, manufacturers will have to start including them after that date, however we probably won't see them until much later as current inventories deplete. Just like the candelabra bulbs thing started a year ago, but it is just now reaching the retailers in my area.

Dec 28, 2007, 04:50 PM
    This is just another goofy law. When you look at where most power is being used do you think of ceiling fans, I sure don't. They may limit ceiling lights to 190 watts but will they still allow AC units less than 13 seer or poorly insulated electric water heaters. More power is used creating heat than light.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Also, it will prove to be interesting on where the pencil pukes put the contraption. You can almost bet it won't be in a easily serviced position. And the good Lord knows that any fool can draw lines on a page!
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Many, many more ceiling fans will be thrown away, because people will put in more than 190 watts, make the light non functional, then scratch their heads.

Dec 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Actually Ceilingfan you will be busier than ever trying to keep the pre 2009 fans running forever, more work for the repairmen. I'm starting to like this dumb law. The law was probably brokered by a lobbyist for the CFL industry.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 09:46 PM
    I still don't like it. Don't get on my bad side, Ballenger! ;)

Dec 29, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Excuse me but what did I say that offended you, the part about more repair work? I don't like any of these laws but it seems like the feds like to control us.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
    I was joking, I'm not offended.

Dec 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
    I missed the smiley at the end of the sentence. Are you aware of anything else in that law that will alter appliances or other fixture. Can't picture they made a whole law for ceiling fan light kits.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I'll be honest, I just read the pages pertaining to ceiling fans, which I posted.

Dec 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
    That makes two of us because I only read what you posted. If I get bored I may actually try to read the rest of the thing. Bet there will be more controlling us. I see that they just set a new MPG rating for car, 35 MPG by the year 2020. Apparently they have less patience with ceiling fan owners.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
    That seems like pretty high aspirations for cars too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring ceiling lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, in my original ceiling light I have three blacks together,yhree reds together and a red with a black with a red sleeve on it.on my new flush fitting light ,I only have a block with three terminals.HELP

Ceiling fan lights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is hooked up through a dimmer switch. The fan blades seem to operate as expected. However, the lights over the last few months have faded to the point where they are very dimly lit even though the dimmer switch is turned to the 100% on position. In this...

Installing new ceiling lights [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking to put in a ceiling light in our living room the only thing is there is no existing light there. There is no room left in my circuit panel, can I tap into the existing circuit in the living room?

Four ceiling fan lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Big dummy here. I took the light fixture down to tighten up the four light fixtures attached thereon and didn't write down the way it was wired up before I unwired it. :o So. Here I sit with four groups of wires, one black and one white for each light, on the lower half and hanging from...

Ceiling fan and lights go off and on [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights. Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off....

View more questions Search