Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallensprings Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
    Basement stud walls
    I am beginning the process of finishing our walkout basement. One of the first challenges I have come across in laying out the walls is a number of plumbing and gas lines right at the top of the concrete exterior walls feeding the main and second story. The lines will prevent me from attaching the top plates for my stud walls to the joists above.

Is there a workaround outside of having the pipes re-plumbed?

All of the research I have done indicates that you do not want to attach the 2x4 stud walls to the concrete exterior walls for any reason.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 27, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Frame your wall with the top plate shy of the above piping so you have a completed framed wall. Attach 2x material, say 16" long, to the foundation about every other stud. Plumb the wall, then measure from the plumbed wall to the 2x secrured to the foundation. Cut another 2x piece the distance from the attched wood on the foundation to the stud. Take in account the 1 1/2" piece on the foundation and the width of the studs your using and add that to the measurement. You'll secure the framed wall to the foundation wall w/ this piece of wood. If you have a poured concrete foundation, Red Heads work well if block, Tapcons also work well.
    tallensprings Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 03:02 PM
    Distance to plumbing rough-in
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    Frame your wall with the top plate shy of the above piping so you have a completed framed wall. Attach 2x material, say 16" long, to the foundation about every other stud. Plumb the wall, then measure from the plumbed wall to the 2x secrured to the foundation. Cut another 2x piece the distance from the attched wood on the foundation to the stud. Take in account the 1 1/2" piece on the foundation and the width of the studs your using and add that to the measurement. You'll secure the framed wall to the foundation wall w/ this piece of wood. If you have a poured concrete foundation, Red Heads work well if block, Tapcons also work well.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

If I understand your post, the stud wall will be out (depending on where the wall plumbs to) appoximately 5 1/2" from the concrete foundation wall > 1 1/2" stud attached to foundation + 3 1/2" stud wall + 1/2" drywall. This creates another problem in that the rough-in shower/tub and stool drain lines for the bathroom will be thrown off by that extra 1 1/2".

Is there any way I can maintain the proper spacing in the bathroom to avoid expensive plumbing re-work or special offset toilet?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 27, 2005, 04:09 PM
    I like to keep at least an 2" space from the foundation to the back side of the studded wall for air circulation. The 2x material your securing to the foundation are scrap pieces. They don't have to be full length studs. Your using these as an anchors so the wall is attached to these w/ a piece of 2x nailed to the side of the stud then to the 1 1/2 side of the foundation mounted piece.
    If you have to keep the studs tight against the foundation because of the plumbing you'll be OK. If all else fails just surface mount firring strips to the foundation in the bath area where the roughed-in plumbing may be a factor. Place plastic over the foundation then mount the fir strips. Ridgid insluation between, then durorock over the studs in the shower/tub area & moisture resistant drywall over the other fir strips area. If I knew how to draw on the computer it would be easier to understand.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Using 5/4 pressure treated lumber in place of the 2X would work and save you the 1/2 inch. Won't hurt to have pressure treated against the masonry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New basement bathroom floors/walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am looking to build a bathroom in our basement. The room will be positioned right next to the sewer line which exits just above the concrete floor. We have a drain pipe in place for a toilet and have to begin framing the floor and walls. The toilet will have to be 9" off the concrete...

Stud wall: Do I need cross pieces? [ 6 Answers ]

Just finished part1 of a Honeydo project: Stud wall 20' long with a door near one end. I'll do the drywall next weekend... Currently it's all vertical studs, with the exception of the horizontal above the pre-hung door. I'll be drywalling both sides. Are cross pieces necessary? Thanks!

Tearing down 2 walls [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to remove 2 walls to open it up. We have a truss roof and want to know if we can remove both walls. One wall is part of the wall that runs through the middle of the house between the kitchen and living room, there are support beams in basement under this...

Metal vs. Wood stud walls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am planning our basement and would like to get anyone's opinion on using metal vs wood to do the framing. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and can be done in a more quick time frame. I also did some research and the costs are identical...

View more questions Search