Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    analisa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Disrespectful Adult Children
    :confused: :( :mad:

My husband and I met while he was still married to his 1st wife, and yes I was the other woman His children were 18 20 22 at the time. I have asked for forgiveness of my sins from the Lord and in the 30 years we have been married all but about 10 years of it I was openly treated like dirt and scum by his children even in my own home. He has been treated almost as bad. Not to try to make excuses for what we did but this is from children who have pretty shaded adult past themselves.
    The last 10 years I have been treated somewhat better,(this is when their mother finally remarried) it improved to a level of polite guarded acceptance.
    A couple of years ago my husband had a bad accident and suffered a severe brain injury.
    He is very emotional. After the accident his children began treating him a bit more respectful. He had surgery several months ago and since that time he has not heard from his only daughter. Not eeven on Christmas. He has been very upset by this and depressed and sad. I'm so angry, I told her brothers that I have never said one word to any of them over the years about how they have treated us and that I was going to say what's on my mind to her (like it or not) because I was not going to let her mistreat her dad.
    My problem is I'm so Mad I cannot think of what to say to her, I want to tell her what has built up over the years. She is 45 years old now and not a child and I want to tell her as I would another adult.
    I would like to go for the Juglar, its like all this rage has been stored up over the years and I'm ready to let it go and I don't know how to put it into words!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Can her brothers tell her that he has enough brain damage without dealing with the hurt and try to convince her to see him or at least get an explanation from her? It might go smoother coming from them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2007, 01:26 PM
    So do it, First I would write a letter to them get it all off your chest and don't mail it, wait a week and see if you still feel that build up,
    If you do, have a talk with her

No one should ever be mis-treated in their own home, when it happens, just ask the child to leave your home.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 26, 2007, 01:34 PM
    I think Fr_Chuck has a good idea about the letter. Waiting a week or so before you send it will help you make sure you want to tell her those things, but it will also relieve a lot of stress and hurt just to sit down and write it. I would also ask her brothers to speak with her about her father's medical condition. Perhaps if she is reminded that her father is ill, she can find it in her heart to visit even if it is difficult for her. I hope things work out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult children despise me [ 24 Answers ]

Sounds pretty awful, and it feels worse. But in the last two years 3 of my 6 adult children have made it clear they want nothing to do with me, and have claimed horrific things I have done to them. Still sounds pretty clear that I am as accused, right? Well, I wasn't so bad when I cared for...

Adult children [ 5 Answers ]

This may well be the most insane question ever posed. Nonetheless, I shall ask. Is there any way that a parent can legally separate from an adult child? My 29 year old daughter has brought immense sorrow and destruction to the entire family. She is deceitful and malicious. I want nothing more...

Parenting adult children [ 3 Answers ]

I Have Been Married For Over 27 Yrs. I Married My Girlfriend When She Told Me She Was Pregnant. I Was Happy And Excited As A 19 Yr. Old Could Be. Since That Time,I Spent 4yrs. In The U.s.m.c. I Have Always Lived As A Family Together On Our Own, I Bought My First House After Leaving The Service,...

DNA testing in adult children [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter will be 24 and wants to know if she can legally force her biological father to take a DNA test? He is in California (her place of birth) and she is in Pennsylvania.

Adult children [ 5 Answers ]

I have an adult child living at home. She is verbally abusive and causes a great deal of stress for my wife who already has health problems. What can I do legally to get her out of the house? Thank you.

View more questions Search