Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aidame Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Cat Illness
    My cat is keeping his mouth open, has trouble eating and drinking, is drooling and one of his eyes is not dilating. Has he had a stroke?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Please get him to a vet asap. How old is the cat?

Dec 25, 2007, 09:46 PM
    My cat was found wandering outside in the snow two years ago. He had already been neutered. I think he is about 3.:confused:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 10:14 PM
    I'm not a vet but have had cats all my life. Especially if he is not eating and drinking, he needs to see a vet as soon as you can get him there. If money is a problem, many vets work on a sliding scale or easy-payment plan or are connected to an area animal shelter that hands out cost-saving vet coupons.

Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Unfortunately, our vets do not have that sliding scale especially in an emergency. They charge $500 just to look at them and give you a diagnosis. I have some medicine from before and I am hoping that these pills will help him until I can get him to a vet.:eek: :mad:

Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
    The cat is also sneezing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Have you talked with a vet about the money thing? I've never heard of a vet charging so much just to look at a sick cat. And be careful what you give him. Medicine from another illness might be making him sicker.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
    It could be anything from ingesting toxins to heart problems. Breathing like that is a sure sign of distress. I agree with wondergirl, if he were mine he would see a vet tonight if at all humanly possible.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
    WHat kind of meds do yoou have from before... Does he have on going health issues?
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Dec 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
    This actually happened to my cat and the vet told me it was a neurological problem. Sometimes it can be from a stroke, trauma, toxins, or also a virus ( I forget exactly what it was) that gets into their nerological system and goes straight to their brain. With the cat's eyes not dialating it could have already affected his brain. I rushed my cat to the vet and as soon as I noticed she was acting funny, and in just a matter of minutes she got worse to where she couldn't even stand up... and we ended up having to put her down. She was also very young.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neorological Illness [ 2 Answers ]

Can you give me Information about Vasculitis

Need He lp Diagnosing An Illness [ 2 Answers ]

:( My cat’s name is Woody. He is an 11 year old indoor cat. His health seems to be in decline. Woody does not appear to be in any sort pain or discomfort. Over the past few months he seems to be eating and drinking less. He’s lost some weight. His energy and activity levels have decreased. He...

My mothes's illness [ 3 Answers ]

My mother has been losing a lot of weight over the few months and have diahrea for a couple of weeks now, also her nails is all turning blue, she refuses to see a doctor and I think she is hiding something, but what?All advice will be appreciated

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

View more questions Search