Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncdude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Taxation for L1-A?
    Read someplace that L1 visa holders are considered to have been paid a living allowance and can, therefore, claim Federal tax exemption? Is this true? If yes, what tax forms do I submit and how do I claim this exemption?

TIA
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
    TIa:

It depends on how long you have been in the U.S. in 2007, from which country you originate, and your intent for 2008.
    ncdude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdude
    Read someplace that L1 visa holders are considered to have been paid a living allowance and can, therefore, claim Federal tax exemption? Is this true? If yes, what tax forms do i submit and how do i claim this exemption?

TIA
    From India; was here in June and expect to be here for entire 2008 at least
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 26, 2007, 10:00 AM
    You CANNOT claim a tax exemption, as you have been in the U.S. for over 183 days in 2007.

If you are married, you can file jointly with your spouse and choose to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2007, but that will require that you declare ALL of your world-wide 2007 income on your U.S. tax return. You can claim a tax credit for the income taxes paid to India on your India-sourced income, and the extra exemption and DOUBLE standard deduction may be worth it.

If you are single, you must file a dual-status tax return, in which you will pay taxes only on income earned while in the U.S.

In 2008, you will file as a resident alien. Further, you are liable for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxs. Make sure you notify your employer of this requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 dependent and taxation [ 1 Answers ]

I am an h4 dependent , entered the usa on July 19 2007. If I deposit a demand draft in my name issued by my dad will it be taxed next year?

401K UK taxation [ 1 Answers ]

I am British, worked in the US 1982-1993 during which time I opened a company pension 401K scheme; I returned to UK end 1993, left my US employer, and have lived here permanently since then: my question, how is the 401K - which I kept - taxed in the UK, and in particular, should I pay tax on the...

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

How does double taxation of corporate occure

NJ taxation on a NY LLC [ 3 Answers ]

In 2006 our landscaping business formed an LLC in NY. All of our equipment and supplies are maintained in NY. We only have 2 (individuals) members and both of us are NY residents. We have no employees. We do business in NY, NYC and NJ. We are registered sales tax vendors in NY and NJ. Besides...

Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Does higher taxation mean better standard of living? Justification is required.

View more questions Search