Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bill88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Judgement against me, live with friends, can their stuff be taken?
    Hello everyone, just found this board, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can help me. I had a bad past year, and I have a LOT of creditors after me. Most are now in collection agencies. I live in Orlando, Florida.

Well one that is trying to collect for household bank credit card actually went so far as to sue me. I never showed up at court, so they issued a default judgement against me. So now I have to pay, fine.

Only problem is, I have NO money, not even a job. I have 50 bucks of clothes and 100 bucks of tools. Only car I have belongs to an out of state bank that I also owe, only reason they don't repo it is it's not worth the money to come get it (only worth around 800 bucks).

I live with friends that let me do all the housework for free rent, that is how I live. Well now the company that won has sent me the papers to fill out listing everything I own and all that. I know they can't take anything, cause I have nothing! BUT, if they don't believe me, and get the sheriff to come and take whatever he thinks is mine, how do they know what is mine and what is my friends?

I don't want my friends to get in trouble, or god forbid have their stuff taken. Should I worry about that? I swear everything I own is in a 4 ft by 4 ft cabnet in my friends computer room, where I sleep on a cot. What do they do in a situation like this?

Also I do intend to start a part time job soon. Is there a minimum amount you can make before they can garnish your wages? Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you,
    Bill
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Bill, truly you are in a bad spot, and how the heck did you get that way. Did you just forget that a credit card wasn't free money? Yes, I would just get out of your friends house because when the sheriff comes to get your stuff they won't discriminate and won't believe you when you say most belongs to your friend.

My advice, get a job real soon, get human again, remember who you are and what you and start thinking about your future and please accumulate some pride.

Dec 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Hey there Tickle, thanks for replying. My situation is one of those long story deals, it is even worst than it looks here. No illegal stuff or anything, just a lot of financial fall out and depression.

Still, I can't see if I'm living in a couple's house how they can take their stuff. I suppose they could take some of their stuff, then my friends would have to appeal and say it is theirs. But it does not seem right they have to prove their own stuff is theirs. I can't move out, if I do it will just be on the street.

I've been reading up and I may be able to appeal it, I will look into it. But yes, I need to get a job and move out asap. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
    They can't. First, they are not going to take personal property. It has no use to them. All your friends have to tell the sheriff, in the unlikely event he comes to their home is to prove it is their home.

Dec 26, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Thanks ScottGem, that takes a lot off my mind. I guess all I can do now is get a good job and start to slowly pay it off. Down the road I suppose I should look into bankruptcy. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend You Live With Sleeping Over At Friends House [ 3 Answers ]

What do you think?? Girlfriend you lived with for 7 months and been with for 2 years starts sleeping over at friends house. We are both in our 30's and I haven't had a sleep over sense JR High - High School. She has keeped all her friends to her self and won't let me meat them. In fact in 2 years...

Can I live with my mother's friends? [ 2 Answers ]

My names Madison, I'm sixteen-years-old. I live with my maternal grandmother in Iowa, but I've been wanting to stay with my mom and step-dad. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about letting them know that. And I was also wondering if my parents' friend, Bobbie, could be my legal...

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search