Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmn43 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Moving to Mexico
    Am I still required to file a tax return in the US if I earn less than $25000 and live in mexico full time.
    kliem Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
    If you are a US citizen. You need to file your tax return (1040) for any income earned WORLDWIDE regardless how much you earn in the US. If you paid foreign tax, then you can get tax credit. For example, if taxes in Mexico is higher than your US tax bracket, then you should get the tax paid to Mexico government back from IRS.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Kliem's advice is valid.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Not only the U.S. citizens, but also the U.S. residents must report the worldwide income and must file tax return if they meet the filing requirements.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 26, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Agreed!

Dec 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Not only the U.S. citizens, but also the U.S. residents must report the worldwide income and must file tax return if they meet the filing requirements.
    I agree with you, however, if one only holds Resident Alien and willing to forego, who cares about paying Uncle Sam! When one is a US citizen and the former citizen of one's country won't allow dual or multiple citizenship, then one will be stuck with US citizen, and has no choice but to pay the tax.
    Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 04:10 AM
    You will file the U.S. tax return but you may not owe any taxes.
    If you have earned income in Mexico, you can exclude income up to $85,000 by filing form 2555: Earned Income Exclusion.
    You can also file Form 1116 to get credit for taxes paid in the foreign country.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
    MukatA's posting about the Foreign Income Exclusion and Foreign Tax Credit is accurate, but as long as foreign nationals retain the Resident Alien status, they MUST file a U.S. taxe return.

Dec 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
    I guess we're all saying the same thing -- just different way to explain. The bottom line is that if one is a US citizen or want to continue to retain Green Card, there is no way to avoid paying US tax. At best, one can get the credit back as I indicated before, or pay more taxes if Mexican tax is lower than US tax bracket.
    Tax Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Even if you are a resident alien for tax purpose, you must meet your tax obligation. Who cares about Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam is very powerful. They can always contact you through your foreign government under the Tax Treaty.
    If a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident quits citizenship or residency, he/she may still be required to file tax return and pay taxes for 10 years.

Dec 29, 2007, 10:37 AM
    You are correct. That's why IRS often uses their unlimited power to intimidate / inforce the power -- sometimes unnecessarily. It is true that Mexico is the country under the tax treaty, however, I know several Mexican citizens that gave up their Green Card and conveniently NOT paying US taxes, some had passed the statue of limitation. Some got letters but ignored them, and so far nothing have happened to any of these people. I reckoned IRS will choose whether those tax evaders are worth pursuing in the foreign country (or countries) depending the amount they may collect. IRS may use their resources to chase those dead wealthy people for their estate taxes that are more lucartive.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mexico boy [ 1 Answers ]

OK well awhile ago I went to mexico I have family so there. So went we were over there this one kid send some one to go tell me that he want to go walking wit me. I mexico that mean a guy likes you. My little sister heard and she was like no, no. the guy was still standing there waiting for what I...

Religion in Mexico [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the religion in mexico was before catholicism? I've been searching Google a lot, and can't find anything. I found one link about mayans, but I don't need that. I need help.:)

View more questions Search