Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Gift of plots
    This might not be the best place for this, but anyway..

Having gone to a wake on Friday and a funeral on Monday, the topic of funerals reared its ugly head in my household. As of now I have made no provisions for them (personally, I'd prefer to be cremated and kept at home in an urn). My wife and daughter are insisting on having a cemetery to visit. So I suggested to my daughter that she might consider getting a family plot as an anniversary present. She thinks that's an inappropriate present. I think its very appropriate.

Anyone else want to chime in?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 08:22 AM
    If you are cremated, then your urn can be put in a nitch at the cemetery, therefore, having a place to visit your remains.

My mom died a couple of years ago, her funeral was $l8,000. She had made and paid for her own arrangements several years ago with a plan that gathered interest. So when the tme came, the money was available and her casket had been picked, etc. She didn't want me burdened with the expense as she knew it would be astronomical (and it was). She was a very economical woman, as I, so I know that amount is not the highest paid for a funeral.

Yes, I think your daughter is right, that is an inappropriate request you are making of her. Your decision on burial should be your own expense and your own choice.

My son knows I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered at a place I always enjoyed and visit often; he will respect my wishes, I know that. However, I have money in place to take care of the expenses and he has power of attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Yes, a plot is a wonderful gift as well as a pre=paid funeral arrangements,

The only note I will make on the prepaid funeral is that if you are not that old, it is better to fund it though a funeral insurance policy, since costs change and funeral homes go out of business.

My dad passed 2 years ago, and he had a "prepaid" funeral, worth 500 dollars he purchased in 1940. Well the average funeral now is about 7500 dollars.

But yes, a family should have a complete written plan with all details planned out, the funeral home you plan on using should have a copy as well as other famaily members.

Personally I wanted my ashes just put on the grave site ( yes they had to have some place to visit and I did not want to end up in the closet next to the extra linen either.

Dec 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Yes, I think your daughter is right, that is an inappropriate request you are making of her. Your decision on burial should be your own expense and your own choice.
    Just to clarify, I'm not making any request. The issue came up in discussion and I made a suggestion.

While I agree it should be my own choice, very often it is not your own expense. And I do not see any reason why someone can't help with that expense.
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Of course Scott don't guess they are planning you needing to use it sooner.

If all of my relations were starting to talk about where to bury me, I may not be sleeping as sound.

Dec 25, 2007, 07:47 PM
    LOL. This only came up because we had to attend two funerals over a few days.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
    If the present gives you any comfort, and since you have said you would like it, I don't see anything wrong with asking for it as a present... assuming costs are feasible for the giver...

It would allow the giver to have some input into the place they are more likely to visit than you are in the future... and free you of the tasks... The idea might not seem appealing to them as most people like to put that stuff off
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
    I know my family is having trouble with my last requests, I want to be cremated also, but agreed to a momument, and we settled on an above ground vault. With my urn to be put into my wife's vault. Beyond that I don't want a sad normal funeral, but a celebration of life with a party of sorts. We arranged it all though our attorneys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift ideas [ 5 Answers ]

I need ideas on what to get my because for christmas he is 24 and car mad and fishing mad I need ideas if you have any?

Gag Gift [ 5 Answers ]

I have to buy a gag gift for a friend for an employee christmas party. I need to make or buy a dressing room. I am thinking cheap and simple, this is a gag gift and not really meant to be used. I am thinking somekind of frame and a shower curtian type thing, but I need help with assembly ideas....

Do I have my grandmothers gift [ 1 Answers ]

I was told by a palm reader who was right about everything else that I would devlope my "powers" by 35 but I am not so sure, I have no special powers that I know of. My grandmother I am told was a white witch but I did not know her. I am a normal religious person and have many questions about all...

Gift of money [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a gift from a family member in the amount of $20,000.00. It wasn't technically an inheritance, because the money from the sale of the house of the deceased went ot her and she wrote a check to us. So it was a gift. What should I know before depositing it into my account? Since...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

View more questions Search