Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philly4458 Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Dec 25, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Grants for students!
    Hello,

I have a son who is nineteen years old who wants to attend a culinary academy. He needs financial ad and is unable to apply for a student loan until he is 23 with a two year credit history.

How may he apply for a grant and are there grants available? My biggest concern is how to write a grant and who to contact. His loan would be $53,000.

Thank you,

Philly
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
    When I got my loans and grant the school took care of the whole thing.
    There are sites that you can write essays and if you win the essay contest they give you money but there is no guarantee in them.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by philly4458
    He needs financial ad and is unable to apply for a student loan until he is 23 with a two year credit history.
    I find this questionable. I got a student loan when I was 17 with absolutely no credit history. Students loans are intended for recent high school graduates preparing to pursue post-secondary studies. Not too many are 23 and have a two-year credit history. I think you may have been misinformed. At any rate, all of the information you need should be available from the culinary academy's financial aid office.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Yes I have no idea what you are talking about having to be 23 and a two year credit history, there are studen loans and grants for students going to approved schools that are listed with the Dept of Education that are available for 17 and 18 year old graduating from college.

If this is a private school that is not an approved school by the dept of education they may require specific credit for their students for them to offer in school loans.

But schools should have peoplewho do nothing but help get programs.

If the one school that he wants to go to does not officer programs till 23, eh can look at other schools, perhaps go to regular college in a related or a busienss field, till he is able to.

Also if he is interested in the culinary area, working in a kitchen with some good chiefs is oftan very worth while to help learn.
    philly4458 Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Dec 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Yes,

At the San Francisco California culinary academy they never offered to help my son to apply for grants but did say they were available and the only way he could attend he'd need a co-signer for a student loan. He graduated from high school two years ago, he's now 19. For him to apply for a student they ask for current employer, three or more references, credit check etc;

My question is can a high school student fresh out of high school qualify for a student loan?

Thank you,
    Philly
    GrantGopher Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
    There is information regarding financial aid and the application process on the academy's website.

If you are interested in scholarships and grants, try this link:

Chef2Chef

They list several scholarship and grant programs. Hopefully there is something that will help your son.

Good luck to you both!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 26, 2007, 11:31 AM
    I checked the Web site of Chicago-area culinary institutes. Here is one link to show how this well-known college helps any age student as much as possible to finance his education there:

Tuition & Financial Aid
    Financialaidguy Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Philly,

The school's financial aid office is more than likely out of the equation when it comes to the criteria set for the loan. It sounds like they are a private institution. If that's the case, they may or may not deal in student loans offered by the federal government, and use services form normal banks such as National City, Bank of America etc. Whenever students apply for loans through these private banks, the banks themselves set the standards, and normally the interest rates are much higher than say a stafford loan.

It is VERY common for high school students to receive financial aid in the form of student loans, but it is also very common for students to get support from their parents via cosigning.

If you need more help, I would be willing to spend a few minutes researching the policies at the culinary school your child is interested in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gov grants - any Grants [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new business for 6 months. I have been in this type of work for 11 years and have the same customers. I buy offshore produce and ship them to the states. I ship 40,000 - 200,000 pounds a week"or I did" I don't have the up front money to buy now. Does anyone know a good place to start ...

F1 Students [ 2 Answers ]

Students on F1 visa from Czech republic are not exempt from paying social security tax and medicatra tax on OPT? Thank you

NY tax for students [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a student in NY state and worked at an internship last summer in NY. Also during 2006, I worked in NJ, which is where my home is. Which tax forms do I file? I thought I would file IT-203 for NY, the nonresident return, but there is a statement that says "If you maintain living quarters in NY...

International Students [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched a lot of sites for finnancial aid and scollarships all round the Internet. I am stricly interested in for a schollarship in an Enlgish speaking country e.x. USA, UK, Australia. I have also contacted and visited sites of many Iniversities from the mentioned countries, but in every...

View more questions Search