Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gulfstream Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 11:48 PM
    Struvite Crystals
    My Persian from time to time (she's 4 years old) has the urgency to urinate. Just a drop or so comes out. She is not bloked. Vet said she has a lot of Struvite crystals. She get a tablespoon of Slolid Gold tuna (cat formula) 1 can between 6 cats. She is also free eats a mixture of Praire chicken & rice and I give her a dried chicken treat usually every night.
    The vet gave me some "SD" food that's temporary to dissolve the ctystals. I have been giving her a tablet of Carpon (a natural urinary acidifier), recommended by a pet store owner and UT Strength by Verti- Science, also a natural remedy.

My question is what should I be doing or not be doing with her condition which seem to be cronic and appears from time to time?

Chris
    San Diego
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 15, 2006, 07:21 PM
    I found a page for you, you will find it beyond informative, my friends cat Carley has crystals, it is an on going battle, the poor kitty was adopted from a local animal shelter, poor little thing only has three legs, we nick named her Tripod, she is the mascot of our rescue, anyway, Please read Diet, FLUTD, & Urinary Stones I hope that it is helpful to you. Tripod, had to be placed on a special diet which has helped greatly, expensive but helpful
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 16, 2006, 01:48 PM
    First of all, I would change her diet to Iams Hairball or Hill's C/D. Hill's C/D is specifically designed to prevent Struvite crystal formation. Be aware that it is high in calories though so cut back on the amount she eats as to not contribute to excessive weight gain.

Also, if she is already over-weight, dropping some pounds could help. Is she fixed? Sometimes cats who go into heat a lot or are bred on a regular basis can have problems with urine Ph.

If you decide to try my food recommendations, please stop giving the other remedies so you will be able to tell if the food is working properly.

Unfortunately, there are those cats that are prone to crystal formation and sometimes nothing much helps. I have a cat who used to be prone to crystals in the urine. I now feed Iams hairball and every few months I mix in a bag of Hill's S/D (50%-50%) to help break up any that might be forming at the time.

It's worked great for several years.

Good luck!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
    One of my cats is also prone to struvite crystals. He has to remain on his special diet permanently because his condition is so severe. My vet recommended he eat Waltham pH/SO formula. He eats a combination of both the wet food and the dry. It is also important that you cat gets enough water to drink. Neither of my cats will drink from a bowl so I leave a little water running in the bath at all times plus they have a water bowl with a pump that keeps the water flowing. This is condition that can develop life-threatening complications so please be sure to follow your vets advice and bring your kitty back to the vet if the condition does not clear up. Good luck!
    kittycrazy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Comment on koriani's post
    Feeding any kind of commercial food, especially dry will kill your cat with crystals!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding geo's and crystals [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone new of any good spots to go crystal hunting in the state of California. Any help would be grately appreciated!

Overweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cat who is about 7 years old, 25 pounds and keeps getting the crystals back in his urine. I have him on the WD right now, but the vet said we needed to take him in to have X-rays to make sure he doesn't have stones. He has been going through test after test during the past 6 months and...

Underweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 1 Answers ]

My little golden persian (5 years old) not only has had a second about of struvite crystals in her urine, but also has very little muscle mass (weighs 5.1 lbs). I have two persians and the boy is fine and strong and healthy. I previously fed them Hill's c/d for 1-1/2 and she was okay for two years...

View more questions Search