Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 09:14 PM
    Swallowing pills
    I've always had a lot of trouble swallowing pills.. even when I take them with lots of water, I gag really badly and often almost throw up. My usual solution has been to avoid pills altogether, but now that I'm pregnant I need to take vitamins. So, any suggestions to make the pill swallowing easier? Thanks.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 09:16 PM
    Crush them up before taking them.

For years my mother was unable to swallow pills. So she crushed them up in this medicine crusher thing and took them that way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2005, 09:54 PM
    Right
    Capt is right, you can get a crusher at most drug stores.

Also many vitamens can be gotten in some brands in chewable versions
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
    Blah, don't they taste horrible when crushed up? Well I guess beggars can't be choosers! ;) Thanks guys for your suggestions. And I never thought of chewables! I'll ask my doc if prenatal vitamins come in a chewable form.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 27, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Orange, when you crush them up mix them up in some apple sauce or puddding. That should help the taste some.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Pills
    Hi,
    My wife went through Chemo and Radiation treatments during 2004, resulting in no saliva now, it fried her saliva glands. But, we are blessed that she is now cancer free after 1 1/2 years.
    I am thoroughly familiar with crushing pills, since she couldn't take some of them even with water. Be sure to ask your pharmacist or doctor if the pill is "time release". Some of those types shouldn't be crushed up, cause they will give you a "rush" of medication all at once; possibly causing other problems.
    But, as others have said, crush them up with a crusher, or use a spoon and a bowl, if they aren't too hard, to mash them into dust, then mix with a couple of teaspoons of apple sauce.
    Another method that sometime worked for my wife, is to coat the pill with butter, or cooking oil, or something to make it "slippery". She didn't use that very often though, due to the "oily" taste!
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Oh sorry about your wife Fred, but I'm glad she's feeling better. I think I'll try the slippery thing... I'll probably still gag but I don't mind the taste of oil so it's worth a shot! And thanks for the tip about "time release"... I was wondering about that. I may go to the pharmacy later today and ask there.

Applesauce or pudding might work too... thanks crankiebabie. I can always plug my nose while I eat it! :)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 27, 2005, 10:49 AM
    For vitamins, it's OK to use the crusher, but other meds can taste bitter, as you said. I had the same problem when I was a young woman, and what I did was take one pill at a time, place it as far back on the tongue as possible and take a swallow of banana juice, this was thick and made me think only of the juice and not the pill. The further back, the better, that way I didn't even think of the pill at all. Try it and let me know if it works for you. You could also put the pill on a spoon with the juice and place that as far back and just swallow, as long as it gets past the primary tastebuds - that's what gives you the 'gag' feeling. You can substitute banana with tomato juice if you like that taste better - as long as the juice is not watery. Good Luck..

Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Oh thanks Chery that sounds like it might work too! I'm going shopping this afternoon so I'll pick up some thick juice, try it and let you know! :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I've always had a lot of trouble swallowing pills.. even when I take them with lots of water, I gag really badly and often almost throw up. My usual solution has been to avoid pills altogether, but now that I'm pregnant I need to take vitamins. So, any suggestions to make the pill swallowing easier? Thanks.
    Gosh, orange, we've got to stop meeting like this :p

... my gag reflex is also very sensitive.

My method is to put 2 ounces of water in a cup, drop the pill in it and quickly down it in one swig.

... kinda like I would if it were a jigger of Jaegermeister. :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Gosh, orange, we've got to stop meeting like this :p
    YES I know... LOLLL. I was "meeting" Fr Chuck like this for a while yesterday, too. Guess that's what happens when people are online at the same time, interested in the same threads and can type super fast!

Thanks for your advice too. I'm really glad I asked the question, because now I have so many things to try!
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Hey guys, just wanted to you all know that I was able to get chewable prenatal vitamins from the doctor, so I don't have to worry about swallowing them whole! It's a major relief for me! However, I really appreciate everyone's pill swallowing advice, and I'm saving the thread on my hard drive in case there is a pill I need to swallow in the future. Thanks so much everyone! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 29, 2005, 06:37 AM
    You know we'll be here any time you need us. Since I'm making a collection of interesting literature for my daughter, I'll pass some on to you also now and then. The first attachment happens to be on Pregnancy and Drugs, the second on Pregnancy and Exercise. They are in PDF format, so you can keep them or print them. Good Luck!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Drugs and Pregnancy.pdf (130.8 KB, 417 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Pegnancy and Exercise.pdf (156.8 KB, 290 views)
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Wow thanks Chery... the exercise one will be especially good, because I'm worried about getting out of shape. I know it is normal to gain some, but my doc says I want to be careful to not gain TOO much!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 29, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Wow thanks Chery... the exercise one will be especially good, because I'm worried about getting out of shape. I know it is normal to gain some, but my doc says I want to be careful to not gain TOO much!
    Glad to help when I can. Just keep listening to your doctor and all will be fine. Here are a few more..
    Attached Images
  4. File Type: pdf Fish_Diet.pdf (74.4 KB, 178 views)
  5. File Type: pdf Prenatal Care.pdf (170.9 KB, 201 views)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 29, 2005, 07:34 AM
    Problem with new posts
    There still seems to be a problem with looking at new posts or starting new threads. I sure hope this gets fixed soon. Until then, Have a Good Day. I'll check in again later this evening.

Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the files Chery! I really appreciate it!

Yeah I've been having troubles on the board too... yesterday and earlier today as well. Hopefully things are cleared up now though.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 30, 2005, 01:25 PM
    Thanks for the files Chery! I really appreciate it!

Yeah I've been having troubles on the board too... yesterday and earlier today as well. Hopefully things are cleared up now though.
    Now THAT was cute! Thanks for sharing..

I could not get into the system either for a while today, I don't have an email to ask if it's my PC or if they are working on something again, but I guess I'll survive, if it's not more than one day - yup, I'm addicted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pills [ 8 Answers ]

What could happen if a person would take a capsul that is bigger than the normal size? Would that cause any problems?

Medication for swallowing [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has difficulty swallowing. She can't remember what it is called or the name of the treatment she was given before. She can swallow liquids and puréed food fine but when it comes to proper food, she can eat little and often but if she eats more than a few tablespoons in one hit it...

View more questions Search