Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awjw13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Bac Smell in the basement
    We have a really bad sewage smell coming from a pipe in the basement, we were installing some new base board and had to go around a large metal pipe, about 6 inches in diameter, it smells REALLY bad. There is no dampness or water so I don't think it is cracked. Any ideas what could be going on? Thanks
    awjw13
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 24, 2007, 06:54 AM
    The pipe you uncovered is the main stack vent. This pipe should exit through the roof. Check in the attic to see that it does not terminate in the attic instead. Also check the upstairs toiulet. It could be leaking each time it was flushed into the subfloor and the odor from it stay in the chase the stack vent's in. It's for certain you have a leak or a open vent on this line. You just have to track it down. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Methane smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a home with a finished basement. When we had the home inspected, we noticed a methane smell coming from the laundry room. As part of the inspection report, we asked that the sellers determine the cause of the smell and take care of it. When we did the walk through, we...

Septic Smell in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Over the last few months we have noticed a "septic" smell progressively getting worse in one corner of our basement that also travels through our air intake vent into the house. This seems to happen when we do laundry, dishes or baths. I have had my tank pumped regularly. I do have a sump hole...

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

Septic smell in basement [ 7 Answers ]

I've been reading many Q&As bbout septic smells and none seem to fit our problem. This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground. It was pumped 6 months ago, there are only two of us living here, no unused drains (dry trap), and no basement drains. The smell seems to come...

View more questions Search