Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 08:18 PM
    Child support?
    I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer.

Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and therefore not have to pay child support? Or am I on the hook for child support no matter what?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Child support
    One some of these a lot will always depend on specific laws.

This is opinion but only if the girl would agree, if not, she can come after you ( on behalf of the child of course) till the child reaches 21 in many states.

Then you will have some issues that I am not 100 percent up on, but now in many states if the mother of the child received government money, welfare, food stamps or something like this then the state will also look to recover the money it pays from the father ( my son can tell you a lot about that, he would have to set in jail till it was paid if he did not make payments to them)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 08:34 PM
    I have a male friend who was in that situation. He went out with this girl maybe twice, slept with her and got her pregnant. She came to him and said she didn't want his help with the kid, or for him to be involved in its life. He was fine with that, and when the child was born, he signed away his parental rights. However, a year later she sued him for child support and won. He has to pay every month, but the child is in another province and he doesn't have visiting rights. So I assume that the laws here in Canada mean that you are pretty much damned no matter what you do, as the biological father. So my advice is, use a condom! ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    So my advice is, use a condom! ;)
    Lol

And re: Your friend. That sucks. I can see good and valid arguments from both sides of this. So basically if you are the biological dad you are on the hook for child support. Good to finally know the answer to that question.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 10:54 PM
    Well I suppose you could contest it in court... but I think in most cases you would lose. After seeing what happened to my friend, my advice to all guys I know is to be very, very careful. And make sure the woman you're with doesn't want kids. She might sabotage the birth control in order to get them, and then you're stuck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Child Support
    Hi,
    Yes, in most cases, you will be legally responsible for child support, which is ultimately up to a judge, with how much to pay monthly, etc.
    DNA testing is done quite frequently now, to determine who is the father; and the testing is allowed in a court of law. So, be careful.
    If the girl is "under age", then you would have more problems facing you!
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 01:53 PM
    I read about the massive increase in DNA testing nowadays. There was a statistic, 10% maybe, of how many fathers are raising kids they thot were theirs, but DNA testing has proved that its not their kid.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    If the girl is "under age", then you would have more problems facing you!
    Here in Canada, "under age" girls are anyone younger than 14. And I think if anyone in theirs 20s+ is with someone under 14, then there are a whole lot of other issues that need to be addressed with that person.
    christinewest-stephen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 06:51 PM
    Just remember if the father does not want anything to do with the baby and the girl is OK with this it is in the baby's best interest if the father never reterns because this can cause confution the only reason I am saying this is I had a man do this to me coming back later on only herts the kid
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I have a male friend who was in that situation. He went out with this girl maybe twice, slept with her and got her pregnant. She came to him and said she didn't want his help with the kid, or for him to be involved in its life. He was fine with that, and when the child was born, he signed away his parental rights. However, a year later she sued him for child support and won. He has to pay every month, but the child is in another province and he doesn't have visiting rights. So I assume that the laws here in Canada mean that you are pretty much damned no matter what you do, as the biological father. So my advice is, use a condom! ;)
    What does wearing a condom have to do with signing away parental rights? This is good advice for someone who isn't a father yet, silly!
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2007, 02:08 PM
    I know of a situation in Ohio where a Wellsville policeman got a girl pregnant while he was engaged to another woman. He convinced the younger naïve woman into letting him sign his rights away by saying that he never wanted children or anything to do with them.

His lawyer prepared legal papers and both parties signed them in order to do this. So apparently this can be done in certain situations.

The kicker is this: I saw him at a restaurant with his fiancés baby child playing and bouncing, having a smiling good time. She was none the wiser of what was going on with his cover up.

The other kicker is that the restaurant was where the girl was currently working, it seems that he was with his fiancés family having dinner and that's where they chose to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child support [ 15 Answers ]

Could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were eustatic when his ex girlfriend announced that she intended to end the child support because his son is usually here with us. She isn't sure how to end the case though. Should she call the child support enforcement or the court house to drop the case? Any help you can give...

Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage, we pay child support on time, which is 30% of my husbands net income. However his ex earns a lot more than he does and has a lot less financial responsibilities compared to us as she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything. We...

View more questions Search