Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Large student loan balance
    I have student loans coming out my ears. 2 loans from 2 schools for me and one for the wife.
    I owe about $28K, can't seem to get the thing paid down.
    Is there anyway to get out of or reduce this amount??
    Interest is about 8.25%

Any help would be appreciated...

Steve
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 08:11 PM
    How much do you pay monthly?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Have you looked into consolidation of the loans, I don't know who is good or not, but there are many that I understand is suppose to help.

You may want to look on the web site clarkhoward.com: Save more, spend less and avoid ripoffs they do a lot of finicial advice and have a lot of great links,

Here are some I found

Sallie Mae(R) | Federal student loan consolidation
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Well, actually no way you can get out of it, or many people would do it, and have probably done by filing bankruptcy or letting collection agencies chase them around for awhile.

If you commit to borrowing, then there is only one way, pay it back, get a loan consolidation at a low interest rate and you can actually do that if you look around hard enough.

Actually your interest rate isn't all that bad, and I don't think you will find it that low anywhere, so just stick with it.

Jan 1, 2008, 06:30 PM
    My payment is $263.00 a month, I am paying $300, of the $300 maybe 140.00 will go to the principal.
    aiekawl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 07:28 PM
    I heard about prosper.com where people can borrow money at lower interest rate than their debt. Just a thought.

Jan 10, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Thanks for your answers...

A word of advice for anybody with student loans... DON"T FOREBEAR OR DEFER for any period.

Steve
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:41 PM
    I owe so much, that I'm considering staying in school half time until I die or become totally disabled... for certain, I won't plan on holding any assets in my name because of the fear that this issue is causing for me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a Viet Nam Veteran. He was drafted while he was in college. When he went into the military he had about $5,000 in student loans. He was in the military for about six years. Got out and went to work. About 6 years ago he went to buy a car and found out that with interest he...

Vacating a Default Judgement on Large Sudent Loan Prommisory Note [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, First I would like to say thank you for your many post of which I have read. My friends situation A Judgment by default was filed against my friend in Philadelphia. She received mail of the case and did not respond, thus a default judgement was issued. The notice of service states...

Government student loan [ 2 Answers ]

My concern is that my husband at the time (divorced now). Set up a student loan account with Sallie Mae, a stafford government loan. I never co-signed for this loan and the divorce decree states that he is responsible for paying this debt. The problem is that I am getting harassing phone calls...

View more questions Search